Please sign in to post.

Athens

Hello... I'm thinking about planning a trip to Athens over Christmas holiday. Is there a particular area in Athens I should be looking to stay? Safety is top priority, but would like to be close to pubs, restaurants, and have easy access to transportation (bus or train.)
Thanks!

Posted by
3120 posts

The Plaka district and the area nearest Syntagma Square are the most convenient, and these areas are safe. Take a look at the websites for these hotels: Pan, Arethusa, Amazon, Metropolis, Omiros, Athos, Hermes, Kimon, Central, Cecil, Attalos, Acropolis View, Magna Grecia, Grand Bretagne, King George Palace, Ochre&Brown, Fresh.

Posted by
1388 posts

John Christmas is a good time to be in Athens. We'll be there ourselves in fact! Most tourists stay in or near to Plaka, the (more or less) pedestrianised area under the Acropolis. Where is best for you depends on taste and budget. Three places we've stayed in the last couple of years are http://www.attaloshotel.com/ http://www.tempihotel.gr/ http://www.hotelphaedra.com/ The first two, the Attalos and the Tempi, are near Monastiraki metro station. It's a direct 40 minute journey from there to the airport. The Phaedra is at the other end of Plaka and is close to the Acropolis metro station. To get her you need to change at Syntagma if you are coming from the airport. The Phaedra's website is basic but they respond quickly to e-mails. A lot of the rooms have really good views of the Acropolis. The Tempi is nice but doesn't have a lift which can be a problem if you have a fair amount of luggage and a partner with a bad back! Of the three we return most often to the Attalos, but there has been some debate here recently about it being overpriced. No doubt other people will be along to give their view! As I say, it's really a matter of personal budget and taste but all the above meet the criteria of safe and central. Cheers
Alan PS The Greek for Happy Christmas is Kalo Christougena.

Posted by
655 posts

Hi John....You have good ideas (above) from the experienced travelers. From these I would try to stay in a place with a night time view of the Acropolis. When lit at night it is magical.

Posted by
4535 posts

I'd add AVA Hotel to the list. It's typically #1 on tripadvisor and is near the Metro, Acropolis and Plaka but on a quiet street.

Posted by
34 posts

Cheers everyone, thanks for the tips! I've been debating about either going to Athens or Berlin over Christmas break, and I think Athens may have won out. Any recommendations on good friendly restaurants/pubs? Other than the obvious sites, anybody found any interesting things to see that might not make it into the travel books? Thanks!

Posted by
4535 posts

Rick has a lot of good restaurants in his book. My favorite was To Kafeneio for mezedes and the cafe in the Acropolis Museum is great for lunch with a view. Not in his book is a great tasting room called Brettos - on Kidethineon just off Adrianou. Not a bar per se, but a chance to try an amazing assortment of Greek spirits. Venture beyond ouzo to things like masticha and tentura...