Please sign in to post.

athens

we have 2 and half days in athens before boarding cruise what are the "must sees" and good recomendations for meals on the run nothing too expensive

Posted by
80 posts

Dont miss the acropolis with the parthenon, Temple of Athena Nike, the Erechtheion with Caryatids, etc. I would also suggest the Temple of Olympic Zeus and Hadrian's arch. You should also see the Agora and Hephaesteion Temple (best preserved in Greece)located in the Agora. The Agora is in/near the plaka which is the old city center and has many tavernas to eat, drink and people watch. Inexpensive meals can be found here. There are also a lot of ancient ruins through out the plaka that are not in a guide book or tour. Inexpensive authentic Greek food can be found in many of the tavernas and restaurants in the plaka as well as other areas of the city. Most display their menus with prices outside so you can decide before entering. If you have time, and you like museums, the archaeoligical museum is worth the time. Have fun.

Posted by
473 posts

Most of the sights that Lisa mentioned are included in a combo ticket that you can buy at any of the sights. I forget the amounts, but the savings was pretty good. Go to the Acropolis either very early in the morning or later in the afternoon, to avoid the crowds from the cruise ships.

Posted by
473 posts

We didn't see too many places that had "meals on the run", but one restaurant that we really liked is O Glykos. They serve only mezedes (think tapas). But 3 mezedes between my wife and I were enough for dinner. And they have a really good house rose wine. The address is Angelou Geronta 2. It's just north of the main street in the Plaka. The main street has 2 names. In the western part of the Plaka, it's called Thespidos. In the eastern part, it's called Kidathineon. As you're walking down Thespidos/Kidathineon, with the Acropolis at your back, turn left on Angelou Geronta. It's about 30 yards down, on your left-hand side. The outdoor seating area has rafters
over it, with grape vines running through the rafters.

Posted by
1717 posts

I was in Athens. The best places are : The Acropolis, National Archaeological Museum (be in there for 1 and 1/2 hours plus time to look in gift store), Benaki Museum. Ride in the METRO trains. A pleasant and peaceful place for eating is Eden Vegetarian Restaurant at Lyssiou 12. Walk to it from the MONASTIRAKI METRO station. The Eden Vegetarian restaurant can be walked to from the Acropolis entrance (exit): walk to the north side of the Acroplis, and downhill. I suggest do not waste energy walking the entire width of the PLAKA. The places I mentioned are enough to fill two and a half days.

Posted by
1717 posts

In Athens a place for good wholesome food, in short time, is Taverna Papandreou in the MONASTIRAKI meat market. Enter it from Evripidou, near Eolou street. I think it is open all the time. It is a good place for people who want a big breakfast, if they are willing to eat vegatables and beans for breakfast. (Restaurants in Athens are not open for breakfast).

Posted by
152 posts

Do not miss eating on the roof of one of the hotels at sunset. Seeing the Acropolis at night was one of my greatest evenings. Actually, we ate there twice.
Where will your cruise ship be going into port? I have the number of a wonderful taxi driver that spoke great English. He was there to pick up for our early morning flight. We hope to see him again next year when we go back.

Posted by
23 posts

Our cruise ship is leaving from athens we are on the royal princess holy land med cruise calling at santorini patmos kudasi hafia ashod port said alexandria sorennto/capri on to rome we plan to do overnighters in israel to see nazareth jerusaluem masada ein gdi and in egypt to see the pyramids sound and light show and an evening cruise and dinner/show on the nile and have 5 days in rome on way back our cruise companions are going on to messina in sicily before we all head back to the gold coast in queensland australia