Please sign in to post.

Advice on Greek Itinerary for April 2011

Our first time in Greece we're two 30 year olds who are used to moving quickly, but unsure if we've packed in too much? Thursday- Leave US Friday- Arrive Greece, Sleep Athens Saturday & Sunday- Athens Monday- Fly Santorini in the Am, Sleep Santorini Tuesday- Fly back to Athens in the PM, sleep by airport Wed- Rent car in the am, drive to Kardamyli (stop in Mycenae) (assuming 2.5 hours to Myceanae, a few hours to look around, and then 2 hours to Karamyli) Wed night- Sleep Kardamyli Thurs- Drive the Mani and explore, Sleep somewhere in between Mani and Monemvasia? Friday- Drive to Monemvasia, explore, sleep Saturday- drive to Nafplio, explore (also see epidavros), sleep Nafplio Sunday- drive to airport, fly home

Posted by
4535 posts

Personally I do think it's too much and I do question some scheduling and sequence. Spending one precious night of your vacation in an airport hotel seems such a waste. I think you'll find it takes longer to drive to Myceanae, tour and then drive to Karamyli than you think. Other than a couple nights in Athens, you're on the go every night - that's a lot of moving and may wear you out by the end. Consider something like this:
Fly into Athens and immediately drive out to Nafplio (about 3 hours). Stay in Nafplio at least 2 nights (its worth it) and hit Myceanae and Epidavros from there (both are about 45 minutes to an hour from town). Then do your Peloponnesse trip (you could probably skip the overnight between Mani-Monemvasia). Drive to Athens and then fly to Santorini. Finish your trip in Athens and just take the Metro out to the airport. Alternately, you could arrive in Athens and immediately fly to Santorini and stay there 2 nights. Fly back to Athens and then rent the car to Naplio (hitting Myceanae or Epidavros on the way). One last thing - I'm of the school that wants to be in the city of departure the night before. I don't like the thought of driving 3+ hours to get to the airport. Too many unknowns can go wrong. But also, what time do you fly out on that Sunday? If it's before noon you simply won't have enough time - if it's afternoon why waste your last day driving?

Posted by
180 posts

Thanks, Doug we're thinking about changing up the schedule per your suggestion and doing: Fly into athens fly to Santorini (are there a lot of flights per day, the olympic air schedule isn't out yet, so I can't tell) 2 nights in Santorni Fly to Athens, rent car, drive to Nafplio, 2 nights (seeing Mycenea & epidavros) Drive to Monemvasia- 1 night Drive to Mani (stay where?) Drive back to Athens, drop off car
Stay in Athens for 3 days, metro to Airport for 1pm departure on Sunday Skipping Kardamyli...but still wanting to try to get to Mani, I've heard it's so gorgeous...

Posted by
655 posts

Hi Erin, I would much prefer your second plan of arriving Athens and flying directly on to Santorini if the flights can be arranged. Is this planning for the spring 2011? On a tight schedule, two nights in Athens is enough with a early morning transfer to the airport which is about 40 minutes out of town if memory serves. Don't sleep at the airport if you can avoid it. For the Santorini flights consider Aegean Airlines.

Posted by
4535 posts

This seems a better overall schedule. I would assume there are plenty of flights to Santorini. You could check on flights in the short future to see general schedules even if schedules for next April have not been released. Have you checked out Matt Barrett's Greece website? It's an excellent resource, especially for the mainland.

Posted by
3122 posts

"Aegean air flight from Athens to santorini starts at 4-5 AM and I believe they have flight every hour." Incorrect. The first flight out leaves Athens around 6am and the fares vary depending on availability. In April there will most likely be 3 flights each day. In high season there are 4 each day. Demand will be high for the flights over Greek Easter Weekend, April, 24, starting on Friday and extending through Monday. Olympic Air will most likely also offer 3 flights/day to Santorini in April. There are some saver fares offered periodically for as little as €39, all taxes included, and they are not limited to the early-morning flight. Sign up for the Aegean Airlines email newsletter and you'll be notified about 2 months before April when they're available. If you have an early-morning departure there is an airport express bus (X95) from alongside Syntagma Square in Central Athens that will take you to the airport in 45-90 minutes (depending on surface traffic) for €3.2 every 20-30 minutes 24/7/365. Airport security police have been cracking down on people sleeping at the airport, although there doesn't seem to be any consistency to the practice. I doubt they'd bother you if you were already through security and sleeping in a departure lounge. I strongly recommend that you get your car at the airport so you can avoid the need to drive in the city center. It's crazy and very confusing, and parking is impossible. And be sure to go to your local AAA office to pick up an International Driving Permit, no test or membership required.

Posted by
811 posts

Aegean air flight from Athens to santorini starts at 4-5 AM and I believe they have flight every hour. the early flight costs about 1/2 of what you'd pay during the day. Metro from Athens to airport doesn't operate that early so you have to find a hotel close to the airport or just sleep at the airport. there are plenty people sleep under the stairs or in the bar, and I slept on a chair. Not very comfortable, but it saved me 50 euros so i can pay for another night in Kamari - well worth it!

Posted by
55 posts

Erin, My husband and I are going to Greece in April 2011 and are schedules is; Arrive Athens 4-7-11 pick up rental car and drive to Nafplio for 2 nights than drive to Kardamyli for 2 night than back to Athens turn in Rental and fly to Santorini for 3 nights than back to Athens and onto Hydra for 3 nights than back to Athens for 3 nights and fly home. I did not want to fly to Athens and than get right back in a plane and go to Santorini that was our original plan but it was to hard to cordinate and I really just want to lay low after the flight from US.
Have you bought your airline tickets for Greece? I am still waiting them to go down, Right now they are going for $1100.00, I am hoping they will open some morning flights.

Posted by
3595 posts

I'll add just a couple of points to what Lee said about the car rental part. We were just in Greece. The rental agent asked for my IDL. Don't think you won't need it. We booked our car through Autoeurope, which, you may know, is a consolidator. We wound up with a National car, which was awful. We intend to return to Athens, but I would never use the National car rental agency there again.

Posted by
3122 posts

Although it's possible to rent a car from many agencies without the IDP if you get in an accident and don't have one your insurance will be invalidated because you will have been driving illegally.

Posted by
3320 posts

Doug, Do you already have your plane tickets and thus know your arrival & departure time? You say "Friday - Arrive Greece" but do not say what TIME. It DOES matter. If you arrive say 4 pm (assuming a connection in Europe somewhere), you could find a Santorini flight at 8 pm (that would give u leeway for any delay). If later, then there is a bargain hotel about 10 mins from airport, peris hotel (about 45?€ per nite). It has free pick-up/return between 7 am & 12 midnite... or if you wanted to get a 5 am Santorini flight u could take a 20€ taxi back to airport. So -- tell us your arrival time.

Posted by
4535 posts

Lee (and all): None of the rental car agencies at the airport will rent a car without an IDP. It is possible to find local agencies that will, but as Lee points out you'd be taking a big risk. I add this because it seems Italian rental agencies are far more lenient and people may not be as aware of Greek requirements.

Posted by
180 posts

Hi Everyone: We're hoping to fly into Athens, depending on the flight we get, we would arrive between 1pm-4pm, and fly out to Santorini that night. The only piece that makes me nervous is that it seems the flights might not be posted until 2 months before departure. Our new goal is: 2 nights Santorini, back, rent car 2 nights Nafplio 2 nights Monemvasia Drive back to Athens , drop off car (is there somewhere we can do this not in the city??) 3 nights Athens Fly home Thanks again for all of your help!
Erin

Posted by
4535 posts

Erin - you would rent the car from the airport and return it there. That prevents you from driving in the city but traffic on the ring highways can be busy too. After dropping off your car, you can take the Metro into Athens.

Posted by
2126 posts

Erin - Since you will be arriving in Santorini late in the day & jet lagged, I would recommend that you take a day away from Athens and spend 3 nights in Santorini (not 2). That would give you two full days to explore the island, and you'll be well-rested and ready to enjoy the rest of your trip. I think 2 nights is enough for Athens.

Posted by
3320 posts

Charlene, I would respectfully disagree about the jet-lag, it is a very individual thing. I'm way more than twice Erin's age, yet I NEVER feel jet-lagged on landing in Greece... my adrenalin kicks in nicely! Keeps me going until 11 pm or more, Greek time, that first night, I sleep 8 hours & am rarin' to go. THose 2 nights on an island should re-energize them nicely for their Peloponnese adventure. Remember, she says they are "used to moving quickly" ... those 2 nights in Nafplio should bliss them out for sure! Erin, here's a link to the beauties of Nafplio & the argolid that will have you dreeeming: http://travel.webshots.com/slideshow/551991579dJbWvh for your driving, in the airport book/magazine shop pick up ROAD EDITIONS Map of the Peloponnese it's the best. In the meantime, here's a super online map, shows ALL roads: http://www.esperides.gr/images/peloponissos_esperides.jpg (cllick & it gets huge) ... also shows the highway from airport all the way there.