Please sign in to post.

Bucharest Romania

3 adults staying 2 nights in Bucharest. Opinions of the area around the train station is it safe or seedy? Any recommendations of a nice reasonable area?

Posted by
41 posts

I assume that by "the train station" you mean Bucharest North station (Gara de Nord), which is the station used by international and long-distance trains - well, that area isn't very good (although the station itself is now reasonably clean and safe), there still are some beggars, homeless people, people looking for foreigners to scam etc. hanging around just outside that station. But of course it's not as bad as it was a few years ago and there are many reasonable hotels in that area.

As for other areas, it depends on what you're looking for: if you want to be in the middle of the action, near the major tourist sites and so on, you should try a hotel in the downtown, but if you're looking for something quiet and relaxing look for a place in the residential areas around the lakes and parks in northern Bucharest.

Posted by
1158 posts

Michael,
I second Aok.
Besides this, I want to add my $.02: Do not get in a cab that doesn't have a lit sign on t , or the company name on the doors. Even if someone comes to you and offer you a "great deal", DO NOT fall for it.
It's just safer to use a known company.
have fun