Please sign in to post.

Venice to Frankfurt to Amsterdam

I am flying out of JFK and we are doing a cruise starting June 15 from Venice. My big issue is how to go to Frankfurt and Amsterdam. Ideally, I would like to fly directly into Venice, to Frankfurt, then to Amsterdam and fly back to JFK from Amsterdam. Are there any suggestions of the best flight plans or airlines? I've checked one way flights into Venice from JFK and they are so expensive so it's more worth it to do a round trip. If I fly into Frankfurt it is cheaper then I can fly to Venice for 2 people for only $90 one way. I plan to leave Venice on Monday, June 23 and spend at least 2 days in Amsterdam and 2 days in Frankfurt, and depart for JFK on Friday, June 28. Help!

Posted by
8141 posts

I can see why you're looking for flight guidance, as prices on European destinations out of Salt Lake City are absolutely out of sight. You might be better served to pay a travel agent to see if they can figure a less expensive way for your itinerary. An option is to catch a train from Frankfort to Amsterdam. I don't believe any budget airline Venice-Frankfort is available.
Good luck!

Posted by
11294 posts

Don't look for one way flights, as they are indeed very expensive. Instead, use the "multi city" option (also called open jaw). For searching, I like http://www.kayak.com/ or http://matrix.itasoftware.com/ So, put in JFK to VCE as the first leg, and AMS to JFK as the next leg, and see what you get. Next, try doing it as four segments: JFK to VCE VCE to FRA FRA to AMS AMS to JFK and see what this gets you. If this second option is too expensive, look at http://www.skyscanner.com/ to look at flights within Europe. But beware: Frankfurt Hahn airport (code HHN), which is used by some budget airlines, is VERY FAR from Frankfurt. FRA is the "real" Frankfurt airport. Finally, use http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en to look at train schedules. A quick look shows that there are some nonstop trains between Frankfurt and Amsterdam taking less than 4 hours. In that case, I'd actually pay more to take the train (much easier than dealing with the time and expense of getting to and from the airports, security checks, etc). If, for instance, you want to take that train, but still want to fly from Venice to Frankfurt, you can still use the multi city option. In that case you would enter just three segments: JFK to VCE VCE to FRA
AMS to JFK Yes, all of this is a bit of work, but it's the only way to find all the options, so you can see what works best for you.

Posted by
15582 posts

You might also consider flying in/out of Verona instead of Venice. I believe there is a shuttle bus (about 15 minutes) from the airport to the train station, then about a 1.25 hour train ride to Venice. That might not be much more time than it would take to get from the Venice airport to the city. I keep reading that it is either very long or very expensive to get from Marco Polo airport to Venice. If you look and train schedules, be sure to look at trains to Venice S. Lucia and not Venice Mestre. Mestre is on the mainland, you want the island. It's opera season in Verona, so there are quite a few flights then, you may have more choices and/or better prices.

Posted by
8700 posts

Were you planning to fly from Venice Treviso to Frankfurt-Hahn on Ryanair? There is no flight on 23 June. You'll have to fly on either 22 June (arriving at 23:55) or 24 June (arriving at 14:20). The airport is nowhere close to Frankfurt. You'll have a 1hr45min bus ride into the city. Treviso isn't very close to Venice either. If you're willing to ride the train all day on the 23rd, you can travel Venezia Santa Lucia-Verona Porta Nuova-Munich-Frankfurt, departing at 06:50 and arriving at 18:04. Book Venice-Verona ASAP (up to 120 days allowed) on trenitalia.com to get a Super Economy fare of €9.00. Book Verona-Frankfurt ASAP (up to 92 days allowed) on the German Rail site to get a discount fare as low as €69.00. Use the German Rail site to get detailed timetables for the entire route. Frankfurt-Amsterdam: If you book ASAP (up to 92 days allowed) on the German Rail site, you can get a discount fare as low as €39.00 on a direct ICE train. When you factor in the time it takes to get to and from airports and go through security, it's faster than flying. FYI, the train does make several stops on its 4-hour journey.

Posted by
11294 posts

Tim: Thanks for catching my error. Laurel: the train from Frankfurt to Amsterdam is not "nonstop," but it is just one train with no changes. So, it's "direct." That's what I meant to say.

Posted by
12 posts

Thank you all for your comments. This is so helpful. I think it'll be best to do the train like you all suggested from Venice to Germany to Amsterdam. I particularly am planning to go to Rothenburg, Rhine River Cruise, Romantic Road, etc. in the Germany area so I can just train it to Munich then move on to Amsterdam and hopefully fly out of Amsterdam. Do you all suggest to get some kind of Eurail pass, granted this will only be for about 5-6 days from Sunday, June 23-Friday, or Saturday, June 28 or 29. Or it is better to get "point to point" tickets to each place?

Posted by
8700 posts

As you can see from my previous post, you can get discount fares by booking well in advance. However, those tickets are for a specific departure date and time and are non-exchangeable and non-refundable. They will be cheaper than any pass. When you go to Rothenburg, buy a Bayern-Ticket at the station. So long as you depart after 09:00 on weekdays (anytime on weekends) and limit yourself to regional trains, you can travel all day anywhere in Bavaria for 22 euro for one person and 4 euro for each additional person up to a total of five.