Please sign in to post.

Winter driving - Rothenburg to Vienna to Prague?

Hello! My husband and I are planning a trip in late February that will take us around Munich (hopefully to Rothenburg), to Salzburg and Halstatt, then to Vienna (maybe Prague?). I've driven in Switzerland, Germany, and Austria in the summer, and recall many high mountain roads (particularly Switzerland). Any hints or suggestions regarding late-winter driving? We'll be renting a car in Munich. Thank you for any input!

Shelly

Posted by
12040 posts

Provided you don't get caught in a snowstorm (which nobody can predict this far out), the roads should be clear. Munich to Rotenburg and Vienna to Prague are relatively flat, or at least, only rolling.

Posted by
5 posts

Might want to make sure your rental car company will let you drive to the Czech Republic..alot of times companies do not let you take cars into eastern Europe

Posted by
290 posts

Wow that's going to be a lot of driving. I disagree with a previous poster concerning the highways to Prague. If you are driving from Vienna to Prague you will go through some mountains. I visit inlaws in all over CZ every year, mostly in the winter months. Though the main freeway roadsurface condition is way better than what we see here in the SF bay area, you still have to watch out for black ice. There are signs along the highways with current road and air temps. My advice is to drive during the daylight hours only. Check the sunrise/sunset times and plan accordingly. No real worries about needing snow chains if staying on the main highways in CZ, but you may need them for higher passes elsewhere. Always plan on increased driving times. If a website says 4hrs from Vienna to Prague, count on it being 5 or more. Make sure your rental car has winter tires as not all agencies change them when they should. Do check with the agency to be sure they will let you drive into CZ.