Please sign in to post.

MUSIC

Does anyone have an opinion about the concert venues in Prague? Is the Lobkowicz Palace concert worthwhile? Which is the most scenic concert hall in Prague? Best concert if the Philharmonic is out of town?

Posted by
2709 posts

Dvorak Hall is one of the top concert halls in the world, and if you have an opportunity to hear the Czech Philharmonic there, don't miss it.
Tickets for the real orchestras will cost hardly more than tix for the tourist concerts.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks so much Larry. Unfortunately there is nothing going on at Dvorak Hall while we are there and the Czech Philharmonic must be "on the road"! I have booked tickets for a concert at Municipal House and have my fingers crossed!

Posted by
2298 posts

though I didn't attend a concert (just a tour), the Municipal House is a beautiful venue. In fact, the behind the scenes tour is worth every penny - you get to see artful rooms not ordinarily open even during concerts. One of the best art deco interiors I've ever seen.

Posted by
2709 posts

Municipal House is beautiful, but its acoustics are not as good per what I've read, we did not get there. If you are seeing the Prague Philharmonic there, they are also an excellent orchestra, only a notch below the Czech Philharmonic. You will not be disappointed. We were very lucky that as we planned our trip in summer 2010, when the houses are otherwise quiet, we found there was a special series at Dvorak Hall that week for Mahler's 150th birthday, and we were able to attend a performance of his Resurrection Symphony ON his birthday.
if you are a classical music nut, then Lobkowicz Palace is a must, Beethoven's Eroica was premiered there and there is much historical material.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks again Larry. We are indeed going to the Lobkowizc Palace and Concert! It is heartening to have a thumbs up from someone who has been there. Sally