Please sign in to post.

Train Travel

Two seniors, plan to travel from Budapest to Krakow, in April. Can you help with the train options? Also, we wish to travel from Krakow to Berlin after spending 4 days in Krakow.
Suggestions for train travel? Thanks in advance.

Posted by
18059 posts

http://www.elvira.hu/english/index.php for the Budapest to Krakow leg. You wont be able to book it until 30 or maybe 60 days prior to the schedule. You know tht this is an 11 hour overnight train trip. I have never heard anyone say that they enjoyed it. If I were young I would probalby do it in a heartbeat. I'm not quite senior yet and while I might still do it I dont think my wife would enjoy it. You might also check Orangeway bus service (not sure if they have that route). I would also check Ryanair which at present has a flight a couple times a week at or near midnight for about $100 after all the pricing games.

Posted by
5552 posts

For Krakow to Berlin, it is a rather long train ride (about 10 hours). I believe that there are also some budget airlines that fly between the two cities. Another option would be to break up the journey with a night or two in Warsaw. I did this in May. I spent 4 nights in Krakow and then took a 3 hour train ride to Warsaw. I then spent 2 nights in Warsaw before taking a 5.5 hour train ride to Berlin where I spent 7 nights. I was pleasantly surprised by Warsaw. It had a delightful old town (it is all rebuilt, but identical to as it was before the War), excellent bus transportation, the fascinating Warsaw Uprising Museum, and was just a nice way to break up the long train ride.

Posted by
294 posts

I did this route by train. My wife and I are seniors. Next time we fly.