Please sign in to post.

Ferries

Is there any way to get to Amsterdam from Gdansk or near there by ferry? No not directly but perhaps through Denmark?

Posted by
14580 posts

Penny, I believe the best way is a ferry-train combination if you want to include going by ferry instead of the entire way by train. I myself would do the trip like this: take the train from from Gdansk (Danzig) to Gdynia, a short ride. At Gdynia you have access to a ferry to Germany...to Rostock. You bypass Denmark. From the dock there's public transportation (or by taxi) to Rostock Hbf. (a lot of stairs at Rostock Hbf.) From Rostock Hbf to Amsterdam (day) a number of transfers are required, mostly likely after Hamburg Hbf. The other way I suggest is: Rostock Hbf to Berlin Hbf, then take the direct Berlin-Amsterdam CNL night train, only as way to avoid the transfers by day. In 2003 I did something similar, Gdansk to Berlin Zoo, ca. 9.5 hrs, spent the night or two in Berlin, then Berlin-Paris by day after that. I didn't know of the ferry connection Gdynia-Rostock, even though trains leaving Gdansk taking the northern route to Germany go through Gdynia.

Posted by
2 posts

I think what we are going to do is just fly from Poland to Amsterdam. Unfortunately, we only have a limited amount of time......Thanks Fred for the tips though.

Posted by
14580 posts

Penny, If you choose to fly, Wizzair flies from Gdansk (Danzig) to London Luton. I don't know about going to Amsterdam.