Please sign in to post.

Driving in western Turkey

Does anyone know if it is convenient to rent a car and take a trip along the Aegeon coastal cities? Will there be enough English road signs and where can I get a good map of that area?

Posted by
338 posts

It has been several years since I've driven in that part of Turkey, but based on my experiences, it is very convenient to rent a car and drive along the western coast. It will provide a lot more flexibility to visit interesting minor sites not well served by public transportation. It will also save on travel time overall. I wouldn't count on too many road signs in English, but the town and city names will match your road map. Traffic signs are pretty intuitive (e.g. red octagon with DUR means stop). I suggest getting a map in advance and bringing it with you, but you'll be able to find maps in bookstores if you want to get one there. I also suggest bringing a comprehensive guidebook (e.g. Lonely Planet) since it will have more specific details on how to find sites, hotels, etc. once you get to a town or city. There will be signs for major tourist sites, but not the smaller ones. There are some toll roads (e.g. between Izmir and Selcuk), so you may want to do a little bit of research on how those work before you go. In terms of where to get a map, I'd just search online for a basic road map (e.g. http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/Maps/buy_maps.html). When I drive in Turkey I use a now way out-of-date basic one that shows the main road networks. I don't think you need a road atlas since there are pretty good directional signs for most towns. Good luck.

Posted by
1524 posts

Last September we rented a car in Antalya and drove along the coast and then inland to Selcuk, returning the car at the Izmir airport. Driving a car was no problem. We got an Insight Travel Map of Turkey from amazon. Between the map and the road signs we were fine. The Turkish language uses western letters so there is no problem reading the names of towns. Also, many people speak English and they're eager to help if you need it. Even if they don't speak English they help you with sign language. Driving along the coast gives you the opportunity to visit the towns you want to see with greater ease.

Posted by
85 posts

I just got back 2 weeks ago. Rented a car from Payless at the Izmir Airport. I is easy to drive in Turkey. It wasn't any easier or difficult than Europe in general. The road signs were OK....I could tell what they were trying to tell me without a problem. Gas is very expensive...$11 US or so per gallon. I got a basic map from the car rental agency and it was fine. I stayed in Selcuk and Sigacik and highly recommend both places....