Please sign in to post.

Day trip from Munich

We will be in Munich for two days early April. We plan on spending day one seeing Marienplatz and it's surrounding churches and buildings. On day two we would like to do something. We have already planned on stopping a day on Salzburg on our way to Vienna so Salzburg is already on the schedule. We have read about the monastery with the good food and beer. We also would be interested in Dachau. How feasible is it to do both on the same day?
The castles would be another option but I think it may a little bit further. With just two days in the are I don't want to spend so much time traveling.

Posted by
3 posts

We had planned to take a train out of Munich and then rent a car for 1 day to the various sites outside of town. We ended up booking a bus tour of the castles because we were exhausted, and even though we never do the tour thing, we had a great day. The bus picked us up at our (rick steves recommended) inn in Munich, and we were driven through unexpected early snow to the villages and castles. was a wonderful day trip. got back in time to do a hot tub and head out to some beer halls.

Posted by
42 posts

How about the monastery, anyone has been there?

Posted by
338 posts

You could see the Marienplatz/nearby churches and Dachau in the same day. Dachau is a short train(subway) ride from downtown Munich. Once you arrive in the town of Dachau it's a short walk or cab ride from the station to the former camp. Round trip it's an easy half day. Marienplatz and nearby buildings/market will take a few hours at most. You may want to check the schedule for the glockenspiel to help dictate your day. If you want to do a little less traveling, you could spend your second day visiting some of the museums/palaces in Munich. They are quite nice. I like the Alte Pinakothek, but there a lots of other options. If you do decide to venture further afield the castles are probably the most popular/top site in the area. Have fun.

Posted by
241 posts

Neuschwanstein or bertesgarten S

Posted by
32206 posts

Ana, I agree with the others that there's MORE than enough to do in Munich with only two days. In addition to Marienplatz, you may want to visit the famous HofBrauhaus, the Deutsches Museum (16 kM of exhibits!) or other sites. On the second day, a day trip to Dachau is certainly possible. You can either do that on your own, or take a Guided tour with This Firm (their office is in the Munich Hbf). Allow about half a day for that. They also offer a variety of Walking Tours, which you could do on the first day since they only take a few hours. The Walking Tours provide a good view of the history of that area. Happy travels!

Posted by
42 posts

Thank you so much!!! Dachau will be! We will enjoy the rest of the time in Munich. Is there a cheaper way to get train tickets?

Posted by
425 posts

I did both Dachau and Andechs on the same day. I had a car of course, which made it easy. After a morning at Dachau, I needed a beer! Despite the "beer and pig" comment I will say that Andechs makes the 2nd best beer I have ever tasted, and the number 1 potato salad I've ever had. I still dream about that potato salad!

Posted by
590 posts

I did Andechs by train, and then hiked from the train stop to the monastery. It was such a beautiful walk. And the beer was amazing. One of my favourite beers in the world. My day there was a good half day and worth it, but then again I agree with the others that if you only have two days there I would stay in Munich.

Posted by
42 posts

How do you get to Regensburg? Can you get there by train?

Posted by
590 posts

Regensberg is very easy to get to by train. It is really beautiful there and very walkable.

Posted by
32752 posts

Not far, under 90 minutes, and they have great sausages, made in the oldest wurst kitchen, from the 1300s, same sausages.

Posted by
516 posts

Direct trains from Munich to Regensburg several times a day. The city is very pretty at night too.