Please sign in to post.

October in Slovenia, Croatia, BiH

I posted a note under the "Travel" heading, then thought it might fit better here. And so ... My wife and I are finishing the ETBD Eastern Europe tour at Lake Bled SLO on 1Oct2012, and looking for more info on a personal extension in the area. We thought of rail from Ljubljana to Zabreb to Split, then ferry to Dubrovnik, then rail/bus to Mostar and Sarajevo before a flight to Vienna and later home to USA. Problem: boats seem to stop service late in September, leaving a missing link. One co-worker mentioned he has rented a car in Zagreb, stopped into a few sites, dropped the auto in Dubrovnik, and loved it. Has someone else done this? How about rail/bus/air to Split or Dubrovnik? And then, should we maybe even drop Split for more time in Mostar and/or Sarajevo? We've been in Europe twice before and China once, so are not novice, and travel need not be "perfect" to be appreciated and cherished.

Posted by
550 posts

I've travelled in the area you are planning to explore and I'd like to help, but I don't know what the ETBD Eastern Europe tour is. Please explain.

Posted by
524 posts

Anita: ETBD = Europe Through the Back Door, the name of Rick Steves' business.

Posted by
35 posts

Thanks, Mike, for the clarification. I thought terminology would be unsderstood, but may have been too familiar myself. For Anita, you can find more tour info at http://tours.ricksteves.com/tours/eastern-europe/eastern-europe-tour . For specifics, we end our formal tour on Mon, 1Oct2012 in Bled, travel at our whims after that, ending in Vienna for the flight back to USA. Does that help with context, for additional advice and suggestions? I have even just thought of maybe ending by flying into and staying in Bratislava instead of Vienna before the return flight to Seattle.

Posted by
524 posts

Don, I know your trip is a ways off, but I hope you post a report afterward. I've not been to that part of Europe, but it is at or near the top of my list for the near-term. I'm envious.

Posted by
2169 posts

I think the idea of renting a car in Zagreb and ping it in Dubrovnik is a good one. If you don't want to drive, you could take a bus from Zagreb to Split, perhaps stopping at Plitvice Lakes for a night along the way. Split is probably only worth a couple of nights. Try to stay right inside Diocletian's Palace. We really enjoyed Base Rooms (http://www.base-rooms.com). She only has 3 rooms so you would want to book early. Then you could take a bus from Split to Dubrovnik. It's about 5 hours down the scenic coast on a comfortable, modern bus. I have not been to Mostar or Sarajevo, but would highly recommend a day trip to Montenegro. The Bay of Kotor is one of the prettiest places we've ever seen. If you don't have a car, you can take a bus tour (Atlas). This is a gorgeous part of the world, with wonderful people. I know you'll enjoy it!

Posted by
689 posts

We rented in Zagreb and dropped off in Dubrovnik in September. We went into Bosnia (and Slovenia), too. We used Hertzyou can drop off right by the Ploce gate at the south side of Dubrovnik's city center. There was no drop off fee. I would get a car for the itinerary you wantall those transportation connections you list sound like a hassle. The only thing I would say is that compared to Slovenia, where we spent the first week of our trip, driving in Croatia was less well signed, there were fewer TIs along the roads to help with directions, and the distances between the usual tourist stops are longer. It wasn't bad, it just got on our nerves.

Posted by
35 posts

For Charlene, thanks for the www.base-rooms.com web link for Split. I've checked it, and it does look good. Checking Google Maps, it's certainly in a great location, too. And hearing about a 5 hour bus to Dubrovnik is good news, since it looks like the ferry run ends sometime in September, so not available for us. For Christy (side note: Are you going to the Edmonds discussion on Jan 20??), the driving success sounds encouraging. Multiple bus and train connections are problematic, but a car is a nuisance in a big city and even some smaller towns, so there's a trade. We've had a car for our two visits to Europe, so this might be our first time without one. Apparently signage is "good enough", since you're safe at home again. Driving into BiH doesn't seem an option for us, since we fly from there and don't want the drop charge outside Croatia. I'm still looking for opinions on dropping Split and adding a night each in Mostar and/or Sarajevo and/or Vienna. I might ask that and more at a consultation session this month at ETBD Intergalactic HQ in Edmonds.