Please sign in to post.

Cephalonia Greece

We are planning a family vacation in Greece and want to spend a few days on Cephalonia. Having never been there I know nothing about it and I would like some opinions on the various villages and areas. We want to find one place to stay with rooms with a kitchen so we can make our own breakfasts and lunches. There will be 2 small children and 6 adults.

Posted by
32252 posts

Mary, That's one of the more "unusual" travel destinations in Greece. I'm assuming you chose Kefalonia as you're Captain Corelli fans? You may find some information on Matt Barrett's Website. His coverage of Kefalonia isn't as thorough as other locations, but it may provide some help. You shouldn't have any trouble finding Hotels there, but "rooms with a kitchen" for eight people may be a bit more challenging. Your best bet for finding an apartment would probably be to use one of the Greek Travel Agencies on Matt's website. I've used Fantasy Travel in the past, and was very pleased with their service. I've never been to Kefalonia, but it's a place I'd like to visit so I've done a bit of research on the subject. Two things that you'll have to decide are: > Which town to use as a "home base" on the island. > How you'll get around from one location to another. You might check your local Library to see if they have a copy of: www.amazon.ca/Greek-Island-Hopping-Frewin-Poffley/dp/1848483546 (I couldn't get the link to work, so you'll have to cut & paste) and / or This Book (Digital PDF Guides are also available for download for $4.95). Good luck with your planning!

Posted by
34 posts

Thanks. We chose Kefalonia because we have an apartment in Delphi where my husband grew up and Kefalonia is close! I have been to Zakinthos and did not like it at all but Kefalonia is supposed to be nice.

Posted by
32252 posts

Mary, You could also have a look at This Website. The website has listings for Studios and Apartments. Given your choice of accommodations, using a Greek Travel Agency might be the easiest solution. I'd suggest sending an E-mail to Matt Barrett, as I'm sure he will have some great advice. Cheers!