Please sign in to post.

vienna to dubrovnik

What do u suggest? Train or air? Anybody done this or have suggestions?

Posted by
50 posts

Hi Eric! Wow, this is a long way by train. Are you going on a tight schedule or leisurely travel? There are direct trains from Vienna to Zagreb, and then to Split, but they are LONG and overnight. Then, you can take a bus or fly from Split to Dubrov, there are no trains past Split. If you give me more details I can help you with more info.... we are living in Split now and lived in Vienna for 3 months before this. Peaceful travels, Stacy

Posted by
29 posts

Hi stacy...thanks for the reply...
So I am kind of on my own pace..don't have to be anywhere at a specific time. Had wanted to see dubrovnik but was kind of out of the way from all my other sights to see. Need to end up in ancona so thot instead of going all the around by train, might as well do dubrvnik and then ferry to ancona. Don't mind suggestions along the way. Had kicked around Budapest along the way from Vienna....wasn't sure. Sounds like a Ryan air flight from bratislava might be in order. How far is split to dubrovnik and can I catch a ferry from dubrovnik to ancona or do they only depart from split or....?

Posted by
354 posts

The ferries from Dubrovnik to Italy stop at Bari rather than Ancona, but there are ferries from Split and Stari Grad to Ancona. Try the website of Jadrolinija, the main ferry operator. I believe Split is about 4 hours by bus from Dubrovnik.

Posted by
29 posts

Thanks so much for the tips. I had heard of the web site but not yet looked at it. Will do soon. Thanks again.

Posted by
956 posts

We flew from Zagreb to Dubrovnik on Croatia Air for $60/each (one way). Dubrovnik was also out of the way for us. It's a one hour flight from Zagreb. I'm sure you could fly for very cheap from Vienna or somewhere nearby...

Posted by
50 posts

You can fly from Vienna, but it is not cheap. I am not sure the ferries are runnign past October, not sure when you are leaving, but I know the schedule slows down off season and completely stops many routes as well. I LOVED Prague and Budapest as side trips, I guess it depends when you have to be where what I would see and what you like to experience while you travel. Let me know if you have any other questions: )