Please sign in to post.

MONTENEGRO:

I am again planning a trip to Europe for 2012. I have been to the Dalmation Coast as far as Dubrovnik. I would love to visit Montenegro and surrounding area and need some ideas. Would I fly into Dubrovnik? Would it be impossible to visit Montenegro without a car? What else could I see in this area? Would it be easy by plane to fly to another country? I have traveled in Europe for the past ten years now and have seen many countries. Ireland, Belgium, Holland, Denmark, Austria, Germany, France, Spain and my favorite ...Italy. I love taking pictures of the countryside and love the sea. The Travelers' helpline has been wonderful and I always have used it to plan my travels. Could you please give me some ideas of what to see and where else besides Montenegro to visit? All help will be most appreciated. I usually fly into one country and out from another country.
I go for a little over 3 weeks of travel.

Posted by
2125 posts

Montenegro really is beautiful and very photogenic. You can easily visit it without a car, by taking a bus from Dubrovnik. You can go to Kotor for a day or two, and then Budva (where you have beaches and hiking) and along the sea all the way to Ulcinj. You could get to Podgorica and then fly somewhere else, or rent a car and see the interior. Besides Croatia, the "surrounding areas" for Montenegro are Albania, Kosovo, Serbia and Bosnia. These countries can be a little more challenging to visit than the standard European countries are. There are some worthwhile places to visit. You might want to visit Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree for more help with them. Or buy the Lonely Planet Western Balkans book. You don't mention having visited Greece. It's my personal favorite, and has lots of sea and photo opportunities. There are more than 100 populated Greek islands, so again you'll need to do some research to narrow things down. You could easily spend the whole 3 weeks in Greece. But no, combining Montenegro and Greece is not simple, although they look close together on a map. It's possibly, for the adventuresome, but not easy. Again, Lonely Planet is a good bet for helping you figure that out if you want to try it. I'd suggest you look at some guidebooks or maps and try to get a sense of this area, and then some back with more specific questions.