Please sign in to post.

Lake Bled to Venice

My wife and I will make this trip in November. I understand there are a couple of ways of going. By train to Villach then bus to Venice. This looks the fastest but what are the buses like? Do they stop enroute to Venice? The other option is train to a border town in slovenia then a 10 minute bus ride to an Italian train station. Has anyone taken this trip? Thanks.

Posted by
811 posts

there should train from LJU to Venice. You should take a bus from bled to LJU then train to venice. Or, there might be boat from piran or koper to venice (not sure if it runs in Nov, but yes in May for sure).

Posted by
1 posts

We took a train from Bled to Venice in 2006. Went through Villach. Didn't even have to change trains.

Posted by
881 posts

Hi, John. The two options you stated are correct. Are you in a rush to get to Venice, or do you have time? The two train options are: 1. Through Villach, takes a long time. (thought beautiful scenery!
2. LJU to Venice: Then train tracks were blown up in WWII and never rebuilt during the Cold War. So, you take a train to the Italian border, a bus meets you there & takes you down to the Trieste station, where you board another train. It is a no-brainer: they direct you where to go & the transfer station is tiny. No worries about missing/getting lost. The bus trip is not long, but is a pain in the butt. What is your final destination? If you do have extra time, take a day. Stop & see Ljubljana, or check out the caves at Postojna & Predjama. You will not be disappointed. I've done the trip by bus, train & car x 2. So if you have any questions send me a personal message and let me know. Cheers! Chris

Posted by
119 posts

We just got back last week from Venice, Slovenia and Croatia. We made the commute in reverse. We traveled from Venice to Lake Bled. We took a bus from Venice to Villach and a short train ride to Lake Bled. It was easy and the scenery was nice. The bus was very comfortable, more comfortable than a train. We stopped a few times to pick people up, but it wasn't a big deal. I was a little concerned about this leg of our tip and it turned out to be a piece of cake, not to mention, we met interesting people on the bus. We were also traveling with our two kids (11 and 13). Happy Travels (btw, Lake Bled was beautiful. We rode bikes around the lake, rowed to the island and went down a Luge ride. Wish we had longer to explore the area. Where are you staying?)