Please sign in to post.

Turkish Air -- luggage

Does anyone have knowledge of how Turkish Air treats carryon baggage? I've seen written descriptions, but, they seem fuzzy. I have a laptop/camera/lense combo bag, which would work most airlines, but......

Posted by
3 posts

In my experience they've treated it the same as U.S. carriers in terms of size limits. I flew with a suitcase that was pretty much at the maximum carry-on size for Delta and a field bag (think day pack sized) the last time I flew on Turkish Air (Nov. 2009) and did not have a problem. One caveat - I was on a larger jet for that flight. A smaller plane might limit size.

Posted by
29 posts

We flew on Turkish Air Chicago to Istanbul in April. Our understanding of their carry-on guidelines was that we could only carry on one item each. So we very reluctantly checked our RS roller bags. We carried on our day packs (student sized backpacks), and mine was reasonably well stuffed with jacket, book, earphones, change of socks and undies, and other essentials. While we waited in the boarding area, we could see that about half the passengers had more than one piece of luggage, all sorts of combinations of suitcases, laptops, backpacks, totebags. That didn't seem to be an issue in the boarding process. We flew on an Airbus, and it was one of the more comfortable airplanes we've been on. Yay! There was a foot rest! Perfect for a short person. Our only mistake was not confirming our return reservation and seats a day or two before the flight or checking in online as soon as we could. There was a huge traffic jam getting to the Istanbul airport, and we got there later than we planned. Consequently, we lost our two-on-the-side seats and ended up in the middle. Still pretty comfortable...

Posted by
3696 posts

Just flew Turkish Air from Istanbul to Athens and back last week. Had no problem with luggage. I decided to check mine and just carry on cameras and laptop, but there would have been room for my RS roller bag. Very nice plane and comfortable flight and we even had a meal on a 1 hour flight! No extra charge for bags either.

Posted by
13 posts

Thanks all!!! I asked, because in the 90s, taking Turkish Air into the former USSR, I was 'shaken down' by an agent. Glad to hear things have been cleaned up! John
PDX