Please sign in to post.

Alsace Region

We are traveling with our two grandsons, 5 and 6 yrs. old, at the end of October by train from Paris to Colmar. We would like to stay in a smaller village near Colmar possibly in a self catering gite or a B & B. We will be taking some day trips but would really like to enjoy the village life. Which village do you suggest and which accomodations?

Posted by
1878 posts

I am not sure about accommodations since we stayed in Colmar, but we really liked the town of Kaysrrsberg if you are looking for more of a smaller village experience.

Posted by
704 posts

Three villages I'd suggest are Ribeauville and Riquewihr, both North of Colmar, and Eguisheim, which is to the South. IMO all three are the quintessential Alsace village. Happy travels. PS. You might consider moving your question to the "To the West" section.

Posted by
3551 posts

I agree w/ Galen and the other poster re villages. We based ourselves in Colmar in a hotel so I do not know of a gite.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks everyone for the suggestions of villages to stay.
This is helpful in knowing which villages I should search for gites in. Mary

Posted by
192 posts

We stay in M. Bombenger B&B in Eguisheim, In Ricks Book.
last sept. small but very nice with. Do not know if they have rooms that would work with the children, enjoyed the village was easy to park, short walk for dining easy to get in and out of village. Charming to walk around. close to Colmar and not really very far from Kaysersberg, Riquewihr etc.Madame Bombenger also had easy instruction for visiting Strasbourg thru parking outside the city and taking a tram to the heart of the City, no traffic or parking problems. interesting Cathedral and the astronomical clock which the kids might enjoy seeing perform. Also easy city to walk around. Boat trip available that takes about an hour also interesting. Also thru Google earth it is possible to see with some detail how where you decide to stay fits with the surrounding area and also by clicking on the icons on the maps additional info will pop up.