Please sign in to post.

night train krakow to budapest

does anyone have any experience with the night train from krakow to budapest? such as cost for 2nd class? is it comfortable for sleeping? first class is way out of my price range so hopefully 2nd class is okay.
Thanks

Posted by
959 posts

Hi Robert, We are also going to take the night train in September. I couldn't get a price online, so I had to email the Polrail Service. This is the email I received back: "ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: In the Double sleeping car, you travel on a 2nd class ticket. There is no first class option. The price for both options includes bedding. With the Double, you also receive complimentary coffee/tea and a snack." There was also this link which quotes the price: http://polrail.com/polrailstore/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=9800 The converted price from Polish Zloty to US Dollars was $311.60 total for two adults.
No idea why it's so expensive when the night train from Prague to Krakow is only about $150 for 2nd class for both adults....

Posted by
276 posts

My experience was 6 years ago, but I think it's basically the same now based on what I've read here. I Don't remember cost, but Amy had some good info on that. As for comfort, you are given a sheet, blanket, and small pillow; it's not luxurious, but not bad comfort-wise. I remember a sink and mirror which is convenient. But the bathrooms...yikes! Have some sanitizing wipes and gel. Another problem is that the train stops often along the way. Train cars are detached and others reattached which is noisy and jerks the whole train. But that would apply even to first class. On the whole, despite frequent stops, I was able to sleep better on the train than on any flight I've been on; at least you can lie flat. I didn't try the dining car on this trip (if there is one), but tried the one on the Krakow/Gdansk train which was limited so have some snacks or drinks with you. You'll notice lots of people boarding with McDonalds bags. The coffee/tea and snack Amy refers to is served at breakfast. The snack was a small prepackaged chocolate-filled croissant - hardly gourmet, but surprisingly tasty...maybe I was just hungry:) Anyway, don't expect to get a lot of sleep, but if you choose to see it as an adventure, it's kind of fun.

Posted by
959 posts

Oh Penny, I hope they still have sinks in the couchettes like when you went! I couldn't see it in the picture that he emailed me. That would be nice.... I wish for over $300/night, we also had a toilet, and a free massage!!!