Please sign in to post.

hair dryers

maybe frivolous, but I need to know if I need to purchase a travel hair dryer. do hotels usually provide these in Eastern Europe?

Posted by
2788 posts

We take a small dual voltage hair dryer to Europe every summer just in case wherever we stay does not have one.
Cheap investment, light weight, and does not take up much space. I do not remember if we got it from RS or down at REI. Probably cheaper via the internet if you have the time.

Posted by
959 posts

Meredith, it seemed like all the hotels that we are staying at (per their website) do have hairdryers. But I'm very particular about my hair, so I bring my own. (It seems like hotels, no matter where in the world, sometimes have 1000-1500 watt hairdryers which suck -- for me.) I have a Revlon travel one that's 1800 watts that's dual voltage -- bought it at Walmart years back for less than 20 bucks. BUT, I learned after getting to Europe that when I used the dryer over there, it didn't seem as powerful as it was here in the states. I am terrible at science, so I'm not sure if the voltage change would also create a change in the wattage, but it took forever for my hair to dry. (And if I'm wrong, I have a feeling someone will correct me!) But I digress... Last time we went to Europe, I spent about 15 Euros at a drug store and just went ahead and bought a travel dryer that was 1800 watts so there would be no wattage problems. We go to Europe every two years, so it was a good investment for me. Now if only Europeans would put outlets in their bathrooms, I would really be able to do my hair like at home!
PS -- I also bought a European flat iron for the same reason... But if this is your only trip you'll ever take to Europe, my advice may be worthless!!!