Please sign in to post.

Mobile phones

Is it possible to get a mobile phone service that would work in Hungary trip going into Bosnia, Croatia and Slovenia? can i rent one or buy a card or how does it work? please provide me with links on information on this
thanks

Posted by
811 posts

there are many options just get a prepaid when you land - there are plenty stores sell these sim cards. you should bring an unlocked quad band cheap phone from the US/canada with you. or, have a phone with wifi. free hotspot are everywhere, use skype to call is pretty cheap and you can browse internet free.

Posted by
32253 posts

John, I had a look at some of the "travel phone" firms such as Roam Simple, Call In Europe, Cellular Abroad, Telestial and Mobal, and they all seem to offer service to Hungary, Croatia and Slovenia. However, not all had service in Bosnia & Herzegovina. One exception was the National Geographic plans from Cellular Abroad, which have service in all the countries you'll be visiting. They now also have data capability for those travelling with a Smart phone. They provide rentals, sales and SIM cards only. You'll have to determine whether the rates are within an acceptable range for your budget. Happy travels!

Posted by
975 posts

John, if you currently have a cell phone, AND it's important to keep the same phone number while traveling, check with your provider to see if they have service. Verizon has an international loaner phone program; it is not cheaper than what is suggested above, but the learning curve might be worth it to you. Skype with your laptop or at an internet cafe might work for you also, but you'd need a headset.