Please sign in to post.

Laptops

My daughter is studying in France for the year and we have been told that her laptop doesn't need a converter, just a surge protector such as "Eurosurge". How do I know FOR SURE? I don't want her to fry her laptop.
Thanks, Cheryl

Posted by
1003 posts

I took my laptop all around Europe this summer and only used a little cheap plug adapter (from Target or wherever) and I had no problems whatsoever. But to know FOR SURE, have her look at the power pack and it should say something like "Input: 100-240v" and that means the laptop has a built-in converter, which is why she wouldn't need another one. A surge protector is optional just like here in the US to protect from storms or power surges or whatever; it wouldn't affect whether her laptop can work over there. So, no worries! :)

Posted by
2 posts

She said the plugins in France are recessed and the adapter I sent with her isn't long enough?? Has anyone ideas about this? The plug falls out. . . thanks.

Posted by
5505 posts

Yes, she can probably buy a new power cord for her laptop in Europe. Alternatively an electronics store or website might sell an adapter that works better.