Please sign in to post.

Sicily

Anyone have ideas aboutvisiting Sicily next March. We understand the Spring flowers are beautiful then. We are fairly active seniors who can hike 6 miles a day... would like to see all the ancient sites and enjoy the natural beauty. Must have a comfortable bed at night, so no camping.

Posted by
687 posts

I loved Sicily, and spring is a great time to visit, although March might be a bit early. I was there the second half of April and the flowers were lovely - they really lit up hillsides that would have been a bit stark and barren otherwise. I did the Rick Steves tour (in 2008, when it was longer), with several extra days before and after. I especially loved Ortigia, and Trapani and Erice on the other coast. Don't miss the Riserva Nationale della Zingaro (www.riservadellozingaro.it/index.html), and although I didn't get there the Madonie National Park behind Cefalu should be good for hiking too.

Posted by
83 posts

Have visited only in July. Extremely hot. March can be cool and wet. Locals say May and June are very nice. Re ancient Greek Doric sites: visited the following: Siracusa, Agrigento, Selinunte, Segesta, Taormina. Imperial Roman site at Casale. All remarkable. If you have the time, a visit to the Aeolian Islands especially the ascent of Stromboli. Not sure if it happens in March. Traveled independently by rental car and booked accomodations as we went. Good autostrade. No tolls. No problems. If you would like more info., send a PM.

Posted by
5 posts

Taromina is spectacular!!! It`s great to rent a car and drive the whole island

Posted by
687 posts

Taormina has good views, but is very touristy, even out of season. There are much more interesting, and still beautiful, places on Sicily. Ortigia and Erice for starters.

Posted by
3252 posts

We're just back from Sicily and it was a fantastic trip! We left April 11 and were there until April 29. The weather was cooler than we expected and sometimes rainy. The wildflowers were spectacular as were the archeological sites. We rented a car at the Catania airport and made a loop around the island staying near Acireale, in Ortigia and Ragusa, Sciacca, near Trapani and then Palermo. We made day trips from those bases visiting Taormina, Agrigento, Marsala, Erice, Mozia, Monreale, and Scopello. The food in Sicily was amazing! Not sure about the temperatures in March. We found very comfortable hotel accommodations at reasonable prices (60-70 Euro average.)

Posted by
2374 posts

You might get more replies if you post this on the travelers helpline for Italy, etc.

Posted by
115 posts

I would take a day and climb Mount Etna with a guide. One of the best things I did on the island.