Please sign in to post.

Dubrovnik to Venice

Anyone have suggestions as to the easiest way to get from Dubrovnik to Venice on a Saturday or Sunday in late September? I've checked airline (expensive!) and train connections but would be interested in some first-hand knowledge and suggestions. Would it be easiest & enjoyable to have one night in Zagreb? Thanks!

Posted by
2129 posts

About three years ago, we took the overnight ferry from Dubrovnik to Rijecka on a Sunday in mid-September, arriving around 7 am Monday; then a 2 pm bus to Trieste, arriving at 4:30 pm; and we could have then taken a train into Venice, arriving around 7 pm. But our Venice hotel reservations weren't until Tuesday, so we stayed overnight in Trieste and took the train to Venice the next morning. It was actually a fairly pleasant trip. Trieste was beautiful; we found a hotel from the TA at the train station, and had a really nice evening there. The train & bus station are right alongside the harbor; there's a lovely piazza and several good restaurants to choose from. I'm not sure what the ferry/bus schedules will be this September. We had to wait until we arrived in Croatia to figure out this part of the trip.

Posted by
59 posts

We did not take this routing when in Croatia last Spring but did investigate it as a possibility. The only way we could find was ferry from Dubrovnik to Rijeka, bus to one of the Istra Peninsula towns (Pula, Rovinj or Porec) or Piran on Slovenian coast and then ferry to Venice. The other option is bus from Dubrovnik to Rijeka (as the ferry makes many stops and has limited days that it sails) and then to one of the coastal towns mentioned to catch a ferry to Venice. And as an aside - all of these coastal towns are beautiful. We decided not to do this routing due to the challenging connections but I also understand there is a bus from Rijeka to Venice. Zagreb is a bit out of the way and would either further complicate the journey or it might give you more options in the bus/train schedule. Dubrovnik, as you have probably learned, is not served by trains. But a bus to Split and then train to Venice might work but you would likely have to route through Zagreb.

Posted by
2091 posts

Bev, thank you so much for your experience/research! I will look into this further for my husband.

Posted by
3112 posts

The coastal ferries between Dubrovnik and Rijeka run on high season schedules through late September, but keep in mind that doesn't necessarily mean daily. You can check sailing dates and prices at www.jardolinija.hr.