Please sign in to post.

Croatia's coast OR Italy's western coastline

Where should we go? Croatia would be virtually from Dubrovnik to Lake Bled
and Italy would be focused on the Amalfi, Lake Como, Cinque Terre & Sorrento. Looking for experts that have been to both areas and have overwhelming feeling for one or the other.

Posted by
32171 posts

Shannon, It would help to know what the time frame of your trip is? For the Italian option, you're covering quite a bit of territory from the Amalfi coast to Lago di Como.

Posted by
15 posts

Thanks for your reply! Here is a bit more information. We are looking at 11 to 12 days but we travel quite aggressively and pack a lot in. We also have done a Rick Steve's tour and love that style of travel but the last trip to Europe we did independently and are possibly going to do that again.

Posted by
334 posts

They are both wonderful - do one this year and the other next year. One thought, you can do Italy quickly by train (bus in Amalfi), while the Croatia trip would be easier by car (possible by public transport, but slow). Also, from my perspecitive, Croatia includes the islands, but they take time as well.

Posted by
59 posts

We have traveled to all the spots you are thinking about. Agree with other poster that you are trying to cover a lot of territory in either itinerary. Croatia (Dubrovnik) to Slovenia (Lake Bled) is also a great distance with many interesting things to see between the two locations. But the same holds for your Italy destinations. But to respond to your question, I would say do both - one now and one another year - but if I had to pick one to do first, I would go to Italy. Croatia/Slovenia is beautiful, the people are great and there is lots of history. But Italy does have a greater WOW factor, especially the areas you are thinking of visiting. For Amalfi, we would suggest staying in Sorrento to easily visit Amalfi, Pompeii (I would say a must), and Isle of Capri. And Sorrento itself is a great town to wander around. So, you see I have already made plans for 4 of your 12 days!!!!
Happy travels.

Posted by
2119 posts

We love both areas. I don't know if I could pick a favorite. But with only 11 or 12 days, I'd choose Italy. You can fly into Naples, spend some time in Sorrento with day trips to the Amalfi Coast and/or Capri and/or Pompeii; then train to CT, and train to Lake Como, and fly home from Milan. It would be rushed but doable, and you'd be seeing some beautiful sights. I think you'd want a little more time for Croatia. That's quite a distance, from Dubrovnik to Lake Bled. You'd want to include a day trip into Montenegro, and a visit to Plitvice National Park. And as Karen said, you'd want to include at least one island. Also, the tourist infrastructure is not quite as sophisticated in Croatia as is Italy, so the more experienced you are as travelers when you arrive, the better.

Posted by
31 posts

I'd definitely go to Croatia. I've been to the northern part of that coast and it is beautiful! I hope to take Rick's tour of the whole coast next year. Also been to Amalfi which is beautiful too. But...Italy is way more expensive and more crowds. Good luck!

Posted by
171 posts

I also have done both and loved the scenery in both places. Even though Italy is quite busy...I would hands down go there first. I figured maybe 4 hrs in Pompeii but spent 7 hrs walking there. It was fantastic. Cinque Terre is another photographer's dream.
Just thinking about it makes me want to go back there.

Posted by
41 posts

I would do Italy in a heartbeat!! There's so much beauty, the history is unbelievable, and the food is to die for! You may want to consider checking out Rome first, then relaxing down the Amalfi Coast. If you have more time, perhaps consider checking out the islands of Sicily or Sardinia- they have the BEST beaches. Cinque Terre and Lake Como are gorgeous, but they are considerably out of the way.

Posted by
14 posts

I think it depends what kind of traveler you are. IMHO, Croatia was very laid back and relaxing. Croatians are very friendly and helpful. So if you want that type of relaxing vacation, def go for Croatia. Italy is beautiful, but is pretty crazy! Don't get me wrong, I love Italy. But the cars, the crowds, the heat, the language (they always sounded like they were argueing!), and the people were high strung. Never been to Amalfi or Sorrento, but Lake Como and Cinque Terre were beautiful. Sounds like you like the action-packed vacations, though. There's lots of hiking involved in the Cinque Terre, and Lake Como was crowded. For 11-12 days I would go for Croatia. Also not sure what time of the year you are going. I've only been to both countries in tourist season so I might be biased.

Posted by
10 posts

Have not been to the Italian Western coast...only Tuscany, Venice, Rome, etc... Though they are on my list... That said Dubrovnik and the entire Croatian coast are close to the top of my list of most beautiful places. I love the Adriatic coast line and definitely recommend that as wel as some of the islands! Elliot

Posted by
354 posts

Difficult choice, both coastlines are equally spectacular. Croatia has wonderful, fresh food, and in fact I thought they had better gelato there than in Italy. Croatia might be cheaper and more relaxing. But, in Italy you have the legendary sights like Pompeii ... How about making a list of sights you want to see/ things to do, and see which coastline scores better?

Posted by
15 posts

We have decided to explore both. We are super excited. Thanks for all of the great comments.