Please sign in to post.

Italy to Greece

My husband and I are planning a trip to Switzerland>Italy>Greece or France>Italy>Greece for several weeks in September. Having been to the former two several times, I have no difficulty there but am unfamiliar with the most efficient (or scenic) ways of getting from Italy to Greece. Obviously flying is an option, but taking the ferry seems like an interesting way to go, but I'd really rather not be on a boat for 2 days... Anyhow... We're primarily planning to stay in the North of Italy and won't likely head farther south than Florence. Any input would be fantastic! Thank you!

Posted by
3120 posts

There is a ferry from Venice To Patras that takes approximately 33 hours. From Patras it is necessary to take a bus or train the rest of the way into Athens, at least another 3-4 hours. The fare for two people ranges from €106 for economy (deck) class to €330 for the least-expensive sleeping cabin. Right now Aegean Airlines has flights from Venice to Athens for as little as €85 per passenger, all taxes included. The trip takes 2.5 hours. If you sign up for the Aegean Newsletter you stand a good chance of getting in on their promotional saver fares, which can be as little as €60, all taxes included. These promo fares for September will be released in plenty of time. Keep a sharp eye out on their website. For me it's a no-brainer.

Posted by
32198 posts

Andrea, I travelled twice between Italy and Greece on my European trip last year, and chose air travel on both occasions. While the Ferry trip would have been interesting in some respects, I felt it was a more efficient use of my limited travel time to make the trip quickly so that I could get as much touring time in as possible. Even the relatively short trip by Ferry from Brindisi to Patras is about 16-hours (overnight), so I felt air was the best option. I booked flights from Rome to Athens on one leg, and Santorini to Milan (via Athens) on another leg. I took a few shorter trips by Ferry from Athens to the Greek Islands, so that was all the Ferry travel I wanted on this occasion. Happy travels!

Posted by
417 posts

I have to agree with the flight option as well. I love boats, but when it comes down to spending nearly 2 days at sea, it seems like that is just too much time to spend on such a preciously expensive thing as travel! When I go places, I count my time as a cost as well, which means sometimes the faster way is the cheaper way, even if it costs more Euro! This is, of course, a generality, as sometimes the more scenic option is the best.

Posted by
2876 posts

Unless you love looking at the open water, a Greek ferry ride is NOT scenic. It is not a yacht; it is a big bus that floats. Take everyone's advice and fly.

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you all! I was not particularly inclined to take the ferry anyways, but you have confirmed it for me. I've found several options through a few airlines. Thank you!!