Please sign in to post.

600 Euro for some sun and sand on the Mediterranean in peak season?

Am I out of my mind to hope that a relaxing vacation can be had for around 600 Euro (transportation from Frankfurt, Germany, lodging and food) at any point in the July/August season somewhere along the Mediterranean? -heck, or anywhere with warm salt water?

We're down to peanuts right now and dying to see some sun and swim in warm water. Can only travel from mid-July through mid-August, bad I know b/c it's peak season everywhere, but it's our reality. Is there any hope?

ps- the husband has a stressful job so dorm hostel sleeping and couch surfing aren't an option here, relaxing is key. oh, and yes, we've thought about the last-minute offers from German travel agencies, but they tend to send you to a giant, impersonal resort. I think I'm asking for the moon, aren't I?
Thanks...

Posted by
7450 posts

Ryanair, flying from Hahn, goes to lots of warm weather destinations, and while the Travel agencies may not be best for packages, you can sometimes purchase a ticket on a charter to get you someplace they go. I think that ther are still good bargains in Portugal, Spain, and the Greek Isles, particularly Crete that normally finding a place for 50 euro or less a night is not hard. Of course, yes, peak season makes that difficult. Maybe do some Web surfing and assess. I have stayed in Matala on Crete which would fit your requirements, also in the beach area of Pollenca on Majorca.

Posted by
3115 posts

Try the Germanwings and the Air Berlin websites for cheap flights to Athens or Crete. These would be your best chance for saving money to get to Greece. From Athens you can take a ferry to Crete where inexpensive accomodations should not be difficult to find online. Near Matala is Agia Galini, another good possibility.

Posted by
3115 posts

Also look in the Loutro area of Crete.

Posted by
1358 posts

You can do it, but you will have to be flexible and maybe give up fancy dining. We like to stay in homes when possible. I look for zimmers.

As for avoiding hostels, my wife and I have stayed in over 20 of them. Many now have private rooms for 22 with baths. Do a web search and read about a few of them.

If I were doing your trip I would choose a seaside town and go without reservations. When you arrive, walk the area you choose and look at some rooms. I have often negotiated with landladies for a bargain.

In looking at a map, I would guess the closest warm water beaches from Frankfurt will be around Genova.

Posted by
1358 posts

Juliette:

I meant to say Many now have private rooms for 2 with baths. Do a web search and read about a few of them.

Posted by
8934 posts

Juliette, so many of the German travel agencies have great packages for doing just that, a week or 2 in the sun, hotel, half board, and flight and the prices are usually quite good. Have you looked on Ameropa yet? Try looking for places like Agadir in Morocco, or Bodrum in Turkey, or any of a number of places in Spain or Portugal.

Personally, I liked Agadir, cause it was exotic, reasonable prices, fun shopping, the people were super friendly, clean, warm water and it never got much over 30° and we were there in July.

Posted by
676 posts

I've heard the beaches in Croatia are wonderful, and you should be able to find an inexpensive hotel.

Posted by
116 posts

I have a sneaking suspicion we're going to end up blowing the summer vacay budget on a new apartment, which is a good thing, but will postpone any real vacays until fall break - when the water should be still warm and the prices lower!