Please sign in to post.

Eastern Europe Travel

Just wanting to find some information on good locations to visit throughout Eastern Europe. A couple of friends and I are wanting to spend 2 weeks riding the eurail through Eastern Europe. We have already been to Croatia, Austria, and the Czech Republic. Any thoughts on Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania?? Are they worth spending more than 1 day in? We mainly like to sight see when we travel so any places of interest in those countries would be nice to know of. Thanks in advance!
Amanda

Posted by
1 posts

Hey Amanda, We saw your Alpharetta location and thought we should definitely reach out! My girlfriend and I are planning on traveling through Central and Eastern Europe this coming May. We've got two months to work with, and want to check out Belgium, Netherlands, Croatia, and Slovenia for sure. It sounds like you've already hit some of those places up, would you have any further or more detailed recommendations? We're thinking about getting a Global Eurorail pass to allow us to travel at whim, but aren't sure it's the best idea. Cheers, Ian
Athens, GA

Posted by
2788 posts

Be sure to get a copy of Rick Steves' "Eastern Europe Guide Book" if you do not already have it. It gave us lots of good information when we toured Eastern Europe.

Posted by
1525 posts

Given where you have already been and where you are asking about, I could envision an almost strait-line itinerary that went like this; Helsinki - Tallinn (Estonia) - Latvia - Lithuania - Warsaw - Krakow - Budapest You could do it in either direction, depending upon the season. Two weeks would be just about right, with about two days in each location, three in Budapest for a total of 15 days. The distances between each stop are not great - should be around 3-6 hours by train or bus. Could be a very cool trip. We have personally been in Helsinki, Tallinn, Krakow & Budapest and can vouch for all of these being worthwhile stops.

Posted by
45 posts

I have the Eastern Europe book of Rick's. The only problem is that he does not cover some of the countries my friends and I are wanting to visit! Examples: Belarus, Montenegro, Moldova, etc. It is a great book though and I used it when I traveled to Croatia and Slovenia!

Posted by
2788 posts

When we have gone to areas of Europe that are not covered by a RS guide book, and even in some areas that he does cover, we also take along a Lonely Planet Guide Book. The two worked out great this last summer in Turkey.

Posted by
45 posts

Thanks for the suggested itinerary Randy! The last time we traveled, we went for 3 weeks and visited 12 countries. We try to do as many places as we possibly can! Thanks again! And Charlie, I just bought 2 of lonely planets guide books the other day and have been looking through those as well as Rick's books to piece together our trip. Thanks for all the advice!!

Posted by
704 posts

"Any thoughts on Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania??" We spent a month in Klaipeda, Lithuania, on two different occasions doing volunteer work. We've been in Vilnius, the capitol, and also Tallinn, Estonia. They are both worth at least a couple of days each for museums, churches, learning how things are changing from the Soviet era, and good, new food. Try to visit Trakai, just outside Vilnius. The 'hill of crosses' just north of Siauliai has a very interesting story. Though we haven't been to Riga, Latvia, I imagine the same would be true there. We traveled by bus from Tallinn to Klaipeda (or Vilnius) via Riga. Another time we went by train from Vilnius to Warsaw, Poland. Feel free to send a PM for more details.