Please sign in to post.

rick steves' greece 2005 guide book

I am trying to get a copy of this --does anyone have any suggestions ?--seems a more recent edition is not in the works so I'd be happy with the old one -- thanks

Posted by
20 posts

Through Rick's web site you can order a 2006 Lonely Planet Greece guidebook.

Posted by
473 posts

Just like Kim mentioned, I don't believe that he ever wrote one. I've never heard of one or seen one. We used both Frommers and Lonely Planet for our Greece trip and found that the combination worked well.

Posted by
4555 posts

Sylvia..Chapters has it listed as "temporarily unavailable to order." You may want to check further with them to see whether that's really temporary (and when it might be available) or whether they really mean "permanent." No sign of a used one on Amazon. However, the Ottawa public library has his two-part TV show on Greece on DVD.

Posted by
47 posts

Since Rick is too lazy to get to Greece let alone consider it part of his "Best of Europe" (and why should he, it's only the the birth place of western civilization, nothing important), I pass this link to you.

http://www.greecetravel.com/index.html

It is a very deep website chock full of great stuff, yet it is clean and easy to navigate. Sorry, it's not in book form but it will bring to life what the other travel guides just can't seem to do. Rick could, but he is conspicuously absent on Greece, as well as for Moscow I might add.

Good luck........Safe travel

Posted by
7544 posts

You probably were not imagining things, there was a "Rick Steves Greece" on the publication schedule for 2005, but it disappeared somewhere along the way and did not publish. Let's Go and Lonely Planet are both good, Frommers a little more upscale, Fodors a little more yet. As for the need for a "Rick Steves Greece"; yes, it would be nice, but since Rick does a great job of keeping books up to date and personally validates much of it, there is a limit to what can be done in a year, so I will cut him some slack.

Posted by
80 posts

I agree, I dont think Rick every wrote a book, although I have heard he is working on it. He has articles and videos of the shows he has done on Greece though.

Posted by
7544 posts

I will add one more note, a pet peeve if you wish, my experience with fans of Rick Steves tend to fall into two camps. Those who use his books like bibles and never stray from the beaten path, and those who have found the underlying message and have learned the skills to travel "like" Rick does. This has been my strategy in Greece and even Mexico, resulting in wonderful experiences. By observing the styles of hotels, types of restaurants, following the strategy of lightweight, flexible, low-key travel...as well as tips from Rick and other guidebooks...you can be your own guide, explore, and have a richer travel experience.

Posted by
44 posts

I live up the street from Rick's office. No greek guidebooks but heed the advice from Paul. Many great websites and hotel review sites online...you can duplicate what Rick teaches. We have done so many times.