Please sign in to post.

Italy to Greece and Back

Hello.

I will be going to Greece from Italy at the end of September. I want to start in Athens and then go to the islands...likely Santorini, Paros, Naxos, Ios.

Questions:

1. Best place to leave from Italy...I'm thinking Venice?
  2. Fly or ferry from Italy to Athens? approximate cost differences?
  3. Recommended ferry lines from Athens to these islands? Ferry v. hydrofoil?
  4. I have to be back in Rome after Greece...so suggestion on order of the islands and is ferry only way back to Athens from the islands or are there local flights (from the islands to Athens...or Rome for that matter)?

Jen

Posted by
7513 posts

Venice is certainly an option for both Ferry and Air. It is a very long very from Venice, so flying might be a better option. Bari and Ancona are also common ferry ports in Italy. If you will be in Rome, there are a number of budget flights to Athens. Any more, my preference is to fly. 3. In late September, I would just show up at the port and find the best scheduled ferry to your destination and grab it, I usually buy my tickets from an agent the night before. Don't worry about which line or pre-purchasing tickets. For island order, the ferry determines that; order would be Paros, Naxos, Ios, then Santorini. All or on the same route, so it is easy. You can fly back to Athens from Santorini. I suggest Aegean Air (www.aegeanair.com) they also have service between Athens and Rome.

Posted by
7513 posts

Above, I meant to say Venice to Patras is a very long Ferry. Go to www.ferries.gr for more info, but one schedule was leaving Venice at 2:00 PM and getting to Patras at 8:00 PM the next day, then you still have a several hour trip into Athens. Alpieagles flies from Venice to Athens for less than 200 Euro, you may get cheaper tickets under 100 Euro. In my book, flying would be worth it.

Posted by
152 posts

We did the ferries from Athens to Milos to Crete. We came back on an overnight ferry from Crete to Athens. We are going back next year and I have been pulling up flights. We have free tickets and are usually put on a co partner. The flight on Iberia was long. I was looking at those going through Rome. I would spend the night there and go on the next day. I will look at the ferry system and flying. If the cost is equal, I would fly.