Please sign in to post.

Budapest to Zagreb

I am living in Germany and doing a week in eastern Europe. i am unable to find a good connection (meaning one that will not take a half days worth of travel, and good price) between Budapest and Zagreb. i am on a very tight budget and there seems to be no good connections. HELP

Posted by
3251 posts

I think that travel by rail is your best option. We made that trip a few years and stopped in Ljubljana for a couple of nights to break up the trip.

Posted by
65 posts

You might look into Wizzair from Budapest to London (Luton) and Luton to Zagreb, Ususally good prices.Good luck.

Posted by
26 posts

We did that last year and we took a train from Budapest to Zagreb. I believe the train left at 6 am and we got to Zagreb around 1 pm and it was fairly inexpensive. We purchased our tickets in Budapest a few days before we left. The train schedule is at www.bahnhof.de/

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you all for your comments. I have looked at the train schedule and I am disappointed that there is no ICE or overnight with less then 4 stops. I was hoping someone could give me some pointers on maybe renting a car or if you knew about other train connections. my original hope was to take an overnight from Budapest to Zagreb to catch a bus down to Zadar and spend the day in Zadar and return to Zagreb the following morning. since it seems we will have to put aside a full day of travel to get to Zagreb, does anyone have a good beach spot worth mentioning near Zagreb?