Please sign in to post.

Christmas in Prague

I am planning on spending 5 or 6 days in Prague and then continuing on to Vienna for another 4 or 5 days. I am trying to plan out sightseeing in Prague to determine how long we should visit. Since our travel dates coincide with Chrismas Eve and Christmas day in Prague, I'm not sure what sights are open around this time. I have Rick's Prague guide but don't see any mention of closings on Christmas. Any guidance?

Posted by
12040 posts

Compared to other major travel destinations, Prague doesn't have many "sites" that open and close (like museums, palaces, etc). It's more of a walking city than anything else. I haven't been there during Christmas, but if it's anything like Easter (when I have visited), expect most tourism-related businesses to remain open, at least on Christmas Eve.

Posted by
84 posts

We did Buda-Vienna-Prague over Christmas and NY, in that order. We planned on being in Vienna for the actual 24-26 of Dec as they has more going on (sites open, Xmas markets still on...). The markets in Vienna are far superior to the ones in Prague. If possible, I would try to be in Vienna over Christmas and Prague after, depending on your dates. Prague is beautiful, but I think there are more sites and better day trips from Vienna.

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks for the reply. Our trip is planned around our tickets to see the Vienna Philharmonic for their New Years Concert. So, there is no way to switch the dates. I wanted this to be a laid-back type of vacation where we can stoll both cities, relax, eat, drink beer and take in the sites.

Posted by
864 posts

How cool will that be!!! Christmas in Prague:) It is indeed a walking city. Of course a lot of resturant's etc. will be closed but I'm sure you won't starve. And think, the Christmas Eve and Christmas Day church services will have truly outstanding music. You could probably spend all day church hopping if music is one of your passions.

Posted by
8 posts

I am very excited about spending Christmas in Prague. Yes, music is a passion and I plan on taking in as many musical options as possible. I decided to stay at Dum u velke boty, as recommened by Rick. I'm sure the staff there will help with stearing us in the right direction.

Posted by
12040 posts

``And think, the Christmas Eve and Christmas Day church services will have truly outstanding music. You could probably spend all day church hopping if music is one of your passions.´´ If the Christmas service is anything like the Easter service at Tyn Cathedral, you´re in for a musical feast. The cantor had an operatic voice and a small orchestra played from the choir loft. And about restaurants, once again comparing my Easter experience to Christmas- everything was open (and packed). You should have your choice.

Posted by
17 posts

Our Experience last Christmas in Prague was that many things closed at midday on Christmas Eve but opened on Christmas Day. Most families eat together on Christmas Eve in the evening. We had a marvelous time there. Meals at Christmas in the restaurants are often set menus and maybe more expensive than normal but very good food. The market in the old town square was great. Have a wonderful time.