Please sign in to post.

4ish Days in Croatia, August 2011

Hello all! I'll be in Bavaria for three weeks this August, and am planning to take a little road trip (up to 1000km/9 hours each way) in the middle of our stay. We have our eyes on a jaunt to Croatia, but are trying to decide-between Split (9 hr drive), Zadar (8 hrs), and Rovinj/Istria (6-7 hrs)-where to plant ourselves for about four days. We're looking for a place where we can avoid the worst of the tourist crush (a tall order for Croatia in August, I'm gathering), but which has still got enough going on that we'll have a few days worth of dining/sightseeing options. We're also hoping to land in a city where affordable lodging options are plentiful... I'd love some guidance. Any suggestions, based on those criteria? Any parts of Croatia-or (gulp), Croatia in general-that we should just avoid in August?

Posted by
118 posts

Based on the fact that you only have 4 days, and that you're driving a fair distance, I would recommend Rovinj/Istria. I wish you had longer in Croatia so you could see Dalmatia and Plitvice National Park. But, with 4 days the Istria area is your best option. Rovinj is an amazing town. It is like no other in Croatia. There are a lot of restaurants, artist shops and cafes to enjoy. Rovinj is especially captivating at night. The sea in August is great too. It is warm and crystal clear...great for swimming. I would recommend day tripping to Pula which boasts one of the best preserved Roman colosseums in the world. Plus, you could visit some of the hill towns nearby. Rick Steves says, that Rovinj is his favorite stop between Dubrovnik and Venice. I hope this helps.

Posted by
446 posts

dont know if distance is comparable but have you considered a jaunt to slovenia? lake bled area is lovely.

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you for these suggestions!! I will continue to look into Rovinj, and will offer up Slovenia to my traveling companions as well! Still so tempted to make the trek to Split, after finding a greater number of affordable short-stay apartments there than in Istria. Could be that I'm just striking out on my Rovinj/Istria searches through hostelbookers.com and venere.com. If you've traveled to Istria in the last year or so, can you recommend a great resource for searching for hostels and apartments there? The three of us are looking to spend no more than $50 per person, per night, and we would like to track down lodging that's located in or close to the center of any city we visit.

Posted by
66 posts

Emily, did you take that side trip to Croatia. I'm thinking of a side trip from Italy for a few days. Any ideas?

Posted by
3 posts

We didn't end up making the trip to Croatia this time (although I look forward to getting there eventually). Ended up at Lago di Garda in Italy for 4 days instead, which was great fun. Consequently, I can't speak to a quick trip from Italy to Croatia, I'm sorry to say. Where will you be in Italy? Are you looking for any alternatives to Croatia for a little side jaunt? If you'll be starting in Northern Italy, I can highly recommend reversing our route and visiting Bavaria! The drive between Verona-ish north through Innsbruck into Upper Bavaria is beautiful, easy, and just under 4 hours, and Bavaria itself offers so much. I'm happy to offer any suggestions, if you end up planning in that direction. Happy travels!