Please sign in to post.

Hotel in Prague

Hello all - looking for a hotel in Prague, they seem to be more expensive than I've been seeing - have you stayed anywhere you'd recommend? Clean, comfortable, pleasant, with a good location? Thanks so much for your help!

Posted by
290 posts

Hi, Rosanne. We stayed at the Hotel Central at 8 Rybna Street last fall and were very pleased. A great room with a balcony, super large bathroom and a good breakfast. It is close to Old Town Square and the Nameski Republiki metro and trams. The price was reasonable, especially for Prague.

Posted by
951 posts

I liked Residence Retezova in the old town center. I went in the winter and paid 104 euro per night.

Posted by
31 posts

Thanks! wish they were the same price in July as the wintertime! $158 is not bad - thanks for the recommendation.

Posted by
53 posts

We were quite happy with the Arcadia Old Town (Kozna Six) apartments. A three-minute walk from Old Town Square; the extra space of an apartment but breakfast at a charming cafe included. The man in charge, Pasquale, was helpful and gave us lots of good information.

Posted by
7209 posts

The Arcadia Residence gets consistently high reviews. They have apartments located in the Old City and prices that really just can't be beat. Unless you can find a "sale" on some 5-star in the Old City or in Mala Strana, then the Arcadia Residence is really almost too good to be true.

Posted by
290 posts

Location? Can pay a lot for some place near town center Prague 1 or 2. If not staying with inlaws, I usually use Guest House Lida in Prague 4. The best thing to do if you want to stay close to the center for a reasonable price is apartment rental. Try www.vrbo.com .

Posted by
269 posts

I always recommend the Castle Steps. You have a choice of rooms or apartments located in Malestrana (castle district), free breakfast. In our case, they even did our laundry for free! Great staff, nice location not very far from anything.

Posted by
53 posts

I forgot to mention the other place we stayed (after heading out into the countryside for a few days): Hotel Monastery, right in the walls of Strahov Monastery, close to the castle. One of the best showers ever! And the room was nice, with a loft area for the bed and a sitting area. Really wish that we had more than one night there!

Posted by
290 posts

Unfortunately I can not recommend a "safe" garage since there really is no such thing in Prague. The best option is to stay at a hotel or pension (like Guest House Lida) that offer a locked garage on premises. Most cases space is limited so you would have to ask if they have one available to save for you at the time of reservation. Lida only has one garage spot as it is a house. DK is right about Monastery...its great...but I'm biased since its managed by a family member...but a bit pricier than Lida. I think summer season would run about $147ish a night for 2 people with breakfast if you reserve in advance online. I like the antigue shop near there and if you are into centuries old religious paintings, Strahov has a great gallery which you can get really up close to it.

Posted by
31 posts

Haha - I wish we had friends (or In laws) to stay with!

Parking Garage - can you recommend one? Do some of the hotels offer parking? How much is a reasonable charge for daily parking?

VRBO - have used them in other places to rent house - have also been burned on an apartment in Italy that looked nice online but was awful! anyone stay in an apt that was terrific?

Thanks!

Posted by
97 posts

Last year we booked an apartment with Prague Stay

http://prague-stay.com/

You're dealing with a rental agency rather than directly with the owner. They have a variety of apartments and we were happy with the service.

Neil

Posted by
56 posts

We stayed at Hotel Julian in the Castle quarter. There's a tram stop within 5 minutes walk, and a metro stop nearby as well. They have an interior courtyard parking area.

Posted by
199 posts

Rosanne - We struggled to find a centrally located hotel with secure parking, but found what looks to be a nice one: Hotel Alton. It is in a great location and has a garage for 8 cars, and we have booked a room and a parking space for three days in late September. The inclusive room rate is only 70 Euro, and parking is 12E per day...not bad for what appears to be a nice place. Good luck.

Posted by
156 posts

Several years ago we stayed at the Roma Hotel. Their rates are still reasonable, offer(ed) secured parking in the basement garage for about 10 euros, on a tram line and walking distance (1/4 mile, or so) to the Charles Bridge. Clean and modern (at the time). Check several hotels booking services as we found that rates could vary as much as 10%. I think we ended up using Czechbyclick.com.

Enjoy Prague. Great, great city.

Posted by
31 posts

Thanks to all for your suggestions - sorry for the delay in responding, have been in Baton Rouge eating spicy crawfish! yum. okay, back to planning.

Arcadia looks great (and is #2 on Trip Advisor) - unfortunately they are full.
Castle Steps looks great - but their quote was a bit expensive.

Will continue to check out the rest - looks like lots of people rent apartments. Thanks so much for the suggestions, we are really looking forward to the trip!

Posted by
199 posts

Rosanne, sounds like you're driving into Prague and need a place to stay with parking. We have the same problem, and booked with Hotel Alton for our visit in late September. They were very well rated by TripAdvisor.com, and the hotel looks very nice on its website. It appears to be a great location, and room is only 70Euro, and 12 Euro for parking. Worth taking a look.

Posted by
71 posts

In July 2007, I stayed at the Hotel Julian. In his book, Rick states that he stays here. Rooms are pleasant and the location South of Charles Bridge, near Vitava River was very handy. Staff was very helpful.

Warning: I had a pair of ear rings and beaded necklace that one of my students had made stolen right off my body while visiting the Cathedral! I did NOT even know it had happened until we were back outside. Nothing of real value, but it is just the idea of it!

We visited Prague first, then picked up a car when we were ready to leave the city.

Enjoy!
Ann

Posted by
262 posts

I second prague-stay.com. Lovely new apartments in traditional old buildings, very good prices!
Zorica, patient, efficient man to work with!
Highly recommend!

Happy Travels!

Posted by
31 posts

Thanks so much! I appreciate all your information and look forward to visiting Prague! Rosanne

Posted by
290 posts

To the comment of Prague being expensive - any capital city hotel with a good location that is clean comfortable and pleasant to American standards will be just that.

Why not stay at Guesthouse Lida like in Rick's book? It may not be in city center but it is clean, comfortable, quite, reasonably priced, and the Prouza's are very pleasant and helpful. Jiri does a better concierge service than any overpriced hotel in city center. I go to Czech Rep every year and stay there whenever I'm not staying with the inlaws.

Posted by
676 posts

We stayed at Guest House Lida-recommended by Rick-several years ago. It was great! Nice room, good breakfast, they answered all our questions, a couple blocks from public transportation. We also drove and the owner led me to a garage near them, I was able to park right by the entrance, and the guard! Can't remember exactly what it cost but not outrageous, and my car was fine.

Posted by
31 posts

Hi Elaine - thanks for the info~ do you remember the name of the garage you parked in? Thanks again,
Rosanne