Please sign in to post.

Croatia to Greece

Hi there, can anyone give me any advice on the best way to travel from Dubrovnik, Croatia to Athen, Greece? Plane, Train, or Ferry? and what do you recommend as most economical? Traveling ~June 10th
Thanks Jeanne

Posted by
7916 posts

There is no good way to get between the two places. In the past, here are some that I have investigated and have heard mentioned:

Ferry Dubrovnik to Italy (Bari) then Ferry to Patras Greece, train or bus to Athens.

Conventional flight to Athens, usually Dubrovnik to Zagreb, then to Athens.

Budget Flight options: Usually to Italy, Germany, or even the UK, then back into Athens.

Some combination of ferry and flight (Ferry to Bari, then Flight to Athens)

Train: usually into Zagreb, then through Bulgaria, into Eastern Greece and into Athens.

Albania Transit: Basically taking a bus into Albania, mini-buses across Albania to Greece, then bus into Athens.

The reasons for the problem is several; Croatia is non-EU so flights tend to be sparse, plus since both are holiday destinations, there is little travel between them.

Albania and Macedonia have also been an issue, at times travel has not been recommended in those countries, so the infrastructure and routes just have not developed. Albania is now opening up, so I expect this route will see more travellers. If this interests you, take a look at Lonely Planets guides for advice.

Posted by
20 posts

You all are awesome!.......I'll take a look at the Dubrovnik to Bari Ferry, then perhaps a flight into Athens!.........will also check out the thorn tree that I have seen mentioned here and there, but haven't tied yet.

thanks again, Jeanne