Please sign in to post.

travel in Turkey

I plan on traveling to Turkey in early November. What is it like for a mature woman traveling alone?

Posted by
25 posts

Turkey is a large country. Traveling alone, as a woman, would be easier in the western part. I was 66 when I went there but was traveling with another woman and renting a car. In the eastern part we used an agency here in California who coordinated with one in Cappadocia area and our rental car included a DRIVER/Guide who drove us through central and Eastern Turkey, where you shouldn't drive unless you're used to it and you should be careful at night, both driving and alone. Having a driver/guide was of course very nice! And, for us, crucial, as I had only beginning Turkish via a couple of small conversation books (which were still very helpful).

In the final 2 weeks of the 4 week trip we flew to western Turkey and rented a car and drove ourselves.
My books came in handy and driving isn't so wild there. We didn't see women traveling alone, as we have in other countries. My trip report in photos is at http://www.pbase.com/andrys/turkey

Posted by
25 posts

Wanted to add (after message limit) that even in western Turkey, in small towns, men sometimes eyed us with some skepticism as women don't often go walking around small towns without head coverings, etc. But when I went up to ask them, in Turkish, how to find a restaurant or store, they were extremely helpful and solicitous. Almost everyone in Turkey was. I loved visiting there. Beautiful country, rich in history.