Please sign in to post.

Budapest or Prague?

Three couples are planning to go in September or October 2010. Which is the best city to see and why? Does it make sense to try to see both in a 10 day vacation? When does it get too cold to enjoy? Thanks so much.

Posted by
417 posts

You all wil have a great time! If it were me, I would do this:

Day 1- Leave USA
Day 2- Arrive Prague (really a lost day with jet lag and time change)
Day 3- Prague
Day 4- Prague
Day 5- Leave to Vienna
Day 6- Vienna
Day 7- Vienna to Budapest with stop in Bratislava. Leave luggage at train station in left luggage. Tour through old town, late afternoon train to Budapest
Day 8- Budapest
Day 9- Budapest
Day 10- Leave for USA

Budapest is my favorite of those. With more time, I would add another day in Budapest. If you don't want to do so much travelling, you could stick to just Prague and Budapest. Bratislava can be a long day trip (2.5 hour train ride) from Budapest, if you wanted. Weather should be beautiful.

Posted by
2779 posts

Nobody can predict the weather but usually October in Central Europe isn't too cold. It's a bit like an Indian Summer in New England. Having been to all of these cities I think 2 days Prague, 2 to 3 days Vienna, 1 day Bratislava and 2 to 3 days Budapest are a good time to see the main sights of the cities. The travels in between those cities are beautiful and Vienna to Bratislava to Budapest can even be done by boat on the Danube river. You might also want to include spending one day in the countryside either in the Wachau valley from Vienna or the Puszta plains from Budapest (and/or visit Gödölö incl. castle).

Posted by
4637 posts

October is usually OK. Well, not this year. I agree that you can see more cities in the vicinity than just those two. I will attempt very short description of the cities suggested. Budapest: grandiose with beautiful views toward Buda across Danube. Vienna: grandiose but without views. Famous coffee houses. Starbucks is right in Downtown among them. Bratislava: almost half million inhabitants but Old town is small and cute. Half day is probably enough for quick seeing. Prague: medieval almost fairytaleish with gorgeous views from Old Town across Vltava River toward Hradcany Castle.

Posted by
276 posts

Ah! Prague or Budapest: The age old question:-)

The other posters have some great ideas on incorporating both into one trip, which would be great if it's at all possible. But if you must choose one, here's a link to another thread on that subject.

Prague-Budapest