Please sign in to post.

FAQ's: Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get started planning my trip?
A: A good starting point is Rick's general travel-skills handbook, "Europe Through the Back Door." Many of your questions about specific countries/cities are answered in Rick's travel guides. Or, see Rick's online planning materials.

Euros? How do I get euros on my trip?
A: From ATM's - Rick explains why: Money Travel Tips

Packing: How do I pack for my trip?
A: Rick on Packing Light and also Rick's Packing List

Weather? What's the weather going to be?
A: We don't know more than a week out but this travel planner for weather might help.

Electrical Adapters? Do I need a voltage converter or just plug adapters?
A: Make sure your electronics have built-in 110/220-volt converters. If so, you just need adapters. If not, you need a voltage converter.

Transportation? How do I get from Destination A to B?
A: Get started with Rick's travel tips, train schedules, maps for driving or general planning, and flight search within Europe.

How do I search this site for previous discussions of the question I have?
A: Use our "Search" bar at the top of the website!

Posted by
2788 posts

I should cut and paste this post of yours and send it to way too many folks who post a question that indicates that they do not have a clue what they are getting into.
Excellent composition. aloha charlie

Posted by
67 posts

Charlie - I second that chuckle. Going on long, expensive, complex European trips many travelers are so ill prepared. Folks are asking these basic questions on Rick's site when just reading just a little of Rick's books on the given country would answer the questions and inform travels before problems arise. But most folks survive and live to return to the US despite their lack of info and travel skills.