Please sign in to post.

croatia to venice

I would like advice on transporation options from Croatia to Venice. I have heard the train requires transferring to a bus to cross the border and then back on the train into Venice. A "ferry" through Venezia Lines from Rovinj or Porec to Venice looks like an interesting option, has anyone here done that? And if so should we purchase tickets before leaving the States? Thanks

Posted by
2172 posts

We took a bus from Rijeka (Croatia) through a corner of Slovenia and then to Trieste (Italy). From there we took a train into Venice (maybe 2 hours), although rather than getting into Venice late at night we chose to stay overnight in Trieste. There's a hotel-finding service adjacent to the train station, and we really enjoyed our evening there. It has a beautiful harbor.

We heard there were ferries into Venice but that they only run during the summer (we were there in September).

Posted by
881 posts

I haven't done the ferries, but having done the Slovenia/Italy stretch by bus, car and train, the ferries sound very appealing. Make sure to check for your exact dates on the ferry, as the schedules do vary week to week.

There is another route that the trains take which goes around Slovenia up through Villach, Austria - but you're looking at a minimum 15hr+ train ride depending on where you depart.

Posted by
3112 posts

I took the Rovinj to Venice catamaran last year and it worked well. I bought my ticket online a few months in advance at the recommendation of Venezia Lines customer service. I received an e-mail confirmation that I presented to the boarding agent in Rovinj. The catamaran was packed with day trippers that got on in Porec, so I would would suggest buying in advance. The catamran has a VIP lounge for just a few euro more than the standard ticket. It was much less crowded and (I thought) worth the small additional cost.