Please sign in to post.

Madrid Airport Layover

We will have a 5 hour layover in Madrid on our way to France. Is there anything we should or could do away from the airport duing that layover. Seems like we should do something since we will be in Spain and have never been there before!

Posted by
3250 posts

Five hours seems like a lot of time but personally, I don't think I'd wander from the airport. Even with Madrid's slick metro system getting to the city center, Puerta del Sol takes about 30 minutes and two transfers.

I'd be curious to hear what others think.

Edit: I just noticed that this is posted in "To the East." You might get a better response if you post it in "To the West."

Posted by
4555 posts

I agree with Sharon....not enough time to take the risk. Simply plan to go back for a vacation...it's a wonderful place!

Posted by
118 posts

Hi Rick,

Just to play devil's advocate, I think it would be possible to visit one sight in Madrid with a 5 hour layover.

For instance, if your plane got in on time and you really booked it downtown in a taxi, you could probably make it to Madrid's blockbuster museum, the Prado, in 35 minutes, storm through the Prado in two hours, and hightail it back to the airport with an hour or two to spare before your flight.

However, I would only say it's worth doing if there's a specific sight you REALLY want to see in Madrid. Like if you've spent your whole life waiting to see Picasso's Guernica, then by all means, you could make it to the Reina Sofia museum and back in 5 hours. Or if there's a specific tapas bar you've heard about, go for it. But it sounds like you don't have a certain experience in mind. In that case, I would agree with the other posters. Assume you'll be back to Madrid someday with enough time to enjoy the city as a whole.

(It's tempting, though, isn't it???)