Please sign in to post.

Vignette and International Green Card for Slovenia, Croatia and Bosnia.

Hi:

I will be renting a car for driving in Slovenia, Croatia and Bosnia. I have a valid US driver's licence and an International Driving Permit. I read that one needs to have a vignette sticker to drive on toll roads in Slovenia. Where can I buy this sticker, and do I need one in Croatia and Bosnia?

Also, do I need the International Green Card? THe Slovenia tourism Web site (http://www.slovenia.info/?by_car=0) says the following:
International Green Card
International automobile insurance is mandatory for all foreign vehicles, except for vehicles from countries with which Slovenia has concluded special agreements (members of the European Union and some other countries). The Green Card can be purchased at all international border crossings.

I spoke to my current auto insurance folks and they said I am covered for cars rented only in the 50 US states and territories. So this means, I would need to purchase insurance for renting in Slovenia, Croatia and Bosnia, correct? If yes, how do I go about doing this? Or will my credit card kick in as the primary (and only) insurance provider (when I decline CDW) for the rental car in the absence of my US auto insurance? But the problem is that I am renting through Avis and they are not giving me the option to decline CDW...at least not when I book online. Haven't tried speaking to them.

Anything else that I should be aware of?

Please advise.

Thanks,
D

Posted by
9 posts

Hi,
First, I wouldn't recommend relying on your credit card for auto insurance. Although I personally have never had to make a claim through them I have heard plenty of horror stories, Keep in mind that you would be liable to pay up front for any damage and then hassle with the CC's insurance for payment. This could get really expensive and difficult and many of the CC don't provide insurance for Eastern Europe. Save yourself the trouble and take the CDW. You probably won't save much money anyhow.

The Green card is really for those who are driving cars they own into Slovenia. It is proof that their auto insurance is valid for international travel. Make sure that your rental car company is aware that you will be driving into multiple countries. Some do no allow this or charge hefty fees.

The vignette stickers are new. Last year when I was in Slovenia they still used toll booths like in the US. From what I can gather, it can be purchased at the border if driving in, or at most gas stations and post offices. Check your rental car to see if it already has one before you buy. I don't think that Croatia or Bosnia use this system.

Happy Travels!
Rebecca