Please sign in to post.

Eagle's Nest Tour

Trying to decide between taking this four hour tour or going it on our own. We only have half day so we want to make the most of it. Are two history buffs.

Posted by
959 posts

Diane, I assume you're talking about the Eagle's Nest in Germany, right? I think you need to post that on the "To the West" portion of the site...

Posted by
162 posts

Or do you mean the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_Nests_Trail

Eagle Nest Trail northwest of Krakow, full of castles and interesting limestone formations. I haven't been, but I plan to in a few weeks. I might have to take a day trip tour because I'm travelling alone, and I don't normally hire cars when away.

(BTW, I don't know how to create links in these posts that some of you do.)

Posted by
959 posts

Well, if that's the case, I'm interested in the answer as we'll also be traveling to Krakow in 2 years...

Posted by
7 posts

Sorry, yes, it's the Eagles Nest Tour out of Berchtesgaden - heard it's good but only 30 minutes at eagles nest itself which is probably fine with my group - want to see and do but not linger

Posted by
881 posts

Diane, if your just looking for the view, check out the Untersberg cable car, close to Salzburg, and included in the Salzburg card.

I could be wrong, but I thought I read you had to do the tour to see the Eagle's nest, as the road was private. (not sure, we opted not to do it, and just enjoyed a beautiful say in Berchtesgaden.).

Posted by
156 posts

With a tour group you might have limited options. When driving in the area, you must park at the visitor's center for the Eagle's Nest. You buy a ticket and take a bus up a winding road to the "Gold Elevator" for the ride up to the Eagle's Nest. The view is spectacular and the house is very interesting. We were disappointed, however, that it was so commecialized. A restaurant (with high prices, souvenir stand, etc. have detracted from the historical significance. We had hoped the building would have more museum and less tourist attraction. Worth seeing, though. Catch it if you can.