Please sign in to post.

Vienna to Munich

Would like tips on this trip: 4 of us have a car and 10 days to travel from Vienna to Slovenia to No. Italy to Munich (Aug 24 to Sep 3)We will have spent 4 days in Vienna before we start the trip South. Where should our base be in Slovenia ?/ Lake Bled? or Ljubljana? what about Piran ? Best way to end up in Munich with 5 or 6 days to get there?? Thru Innsbruck via Verona?? We don't want to pack up and move on everyday. Any great hotel tips ??
Thanks, Celeste

Posted by
881 posts

Hi Celeste. If your goal is winding up in Munich, via Slovenia, I would suggest perhaps, Vienna, Ljubljana (via Graz - beautiful drive), Piran, Postojna, Ljubljana, Bled, Salzburg.

I wouldn't so much base in one place, as follow a strait line. If you do want to base in one place: Ljubljana - it's a 40 min drive to Postojna or Bled, and Piran or Venice are also easy day trips.

I'd take 1 day for Piran, great place to relax and swim. 1 day for the caves: base in Postojna, and hit Skocjan, Predjama, and Postojna, 1 day for Ljubljana (a Thursday if you can manage it, it's late shopping night, and everyone comes out), and a couple days for Bled.

The drive between Bled and Salzburg is also pretty gorgeous.

If you want to hit Venice, I'd suggest, Piran, Venice, Postojan, and Ljubljana.

Bled, is beautiful, but very, very touristy these days.

Hope that helps! If you have any questions, let me know!