Please sign in to post.

First time to Greece

We are planning a very last minute trip to Greece for the end of this month and beginning of July. From what I have read thus far, it seems we should plan on only about 2 days in Athens and we will plan to be in Greece for about 9 days. Looking for suggestions from veterans like yourselves for the best itinerary to plan in terms of where to travel to and for how long. We were thinking Athens and 2 islands. More specifically, hoping to find out the particular parts of town to stay in once we have chosen our destinations. Would like some history, culture and relaxation. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Posted by
3122 posts

"hoping to find out the particular parts of town to stay in once we have chosen our destinations"

Once you've chosen your destinations come back and let us know what they are, what your room budget will be per night and any other information pertinent to your situation so we can offer the suggestions you seek.

Posted by
162 posts

Two days in Athens is fine, although the city gets a bad reputation so you shouldn't linger there, but it's cleaned up somewhat since the Olympics and its new Metro system. (However, I shouldn't comment because I wasn't there before to make the comparison) I've been to Athens twice and I really like it. Please try to get to Santorini; while it's full of tourists, it's absolutely gorgeous. And try a smaller island such as Hydra.

Posted by
3 posts

Lee,
I guess I should say we are working on honing in on the specifics but thinking about seeing Athens, Santorini and one other island. So if I said those were our destinations (and you can fill in the 2nd island for us to visit), I am wondering what areas in each of those 3 are best to stay in. Ideally we are hoping to find the appropriate order in which to see these three places and whether overnight ferry is best time saver or pay the extra money for the flight for the longer stretches. From a budget standpoint based on what we've read so far, I don't think we need top of the line but want a pleasant experience. I would say we are middle of the road folks. Thanks much. Looking forward to what everyone has to say!

Posted by
3122 posts

Athens-Plaka and Monastiraki Districts are in the center and provide the widest variety of options for hotels and shops.

Santorini-Choose between staying at one of the two main beach resorts, Kamari or Perissa. If you want a caldera view your choices are Fira/Firostefani, Imerovigli and Oia. Fira has the best nightlife. Imerovigli is the quietest village and has the best overall views of the caldera and sunset. Oia is the most beautiful and romantic.

Nearby to Santorini are Ios, Naxos and Paros, all accessible by daily ferry and all on the route back to Athens. I like Paros for its proximity to Antiparos for daytrips. You can also take a daytrip to Delos and Mykonos from Paros or Naxos. Paros, Naxos and Santorini all have airports. Olympic flies to all 3 but Aegean only flies to Santorini.

As for hotel recommendations, please provide your maximum budget per day in euro or dollars, not in adjectives. "Middle of the road" on Santorini can translate into as much as 800 euro/night.

Posted by
34 posts

Ryan, try Crete. My wife and I just got back from three weeks in Greece and it was one of favorite places. Chania is a great town to stay in as it has lots of history (venitian fort in town), nice cafes and night life, realy great nearby sandy beaches and beautiful sunsets. The Samaria Gorge is nearby if you like to hike. The archeaological site of Knossos (a world heritage site), which belonged to the Minoans which is very cool and about two hours from Chania by car. Rent a car while you are there as Crete is a island and fun to drive. Whatever island you travel to check the price of airline tickets as it often is just a little expensive then a ferry and you save a LOT of time. Have fun. Ellis

Posted by
3 posts

Lee,
Our budget is about $200 to $250 per night for accomodations. If we spend less than that in some cities, we can splurge for a better spot in others. Thanks to you and everyone for all your suggestions.

Posted by
162 posts

If you sleep in the domatia, you can sleep in good places for as little as $40 per night, I did three years ago.

Posted by
5 posts

Try the Philippos Hotel in Athens. We got a 113 Euro per night price in September. For only a couple of nights, we wanted to scrimp a little in Athens and indulge more on Santorini. Reviews on Trip Advisor seem to mark this as a perfectly adequate hotel in a great location (steps from the Acropolis, Metro, etc.). Clean, friendly staff, etc.

If you can splurge a little on Santorini, the Remezzo Villas was our choice, coming in at a little more than $250/night, but with stellar reviews and great location in Imerovigli.