Please sign in to post.

Prague

Thinking about a side trip from the Austrian lake region to Prague for 3 days. Any recommendations? Is train travel and housing cheaper in this area?

Thanks, Tina

Posted by
2779 posts

You can see all of downtown Prague in one day incl. a guided tour thru the castle. What else is on your itinerary? Maybe you can work in some other interesting places in those three days...

Posted by
1556 posts

I'm not sure that Prague is cheap anymore. Do your research so that you aren't surprised.

Posted by
7209 posts

I agree that Prague is not cheap anymore. However because of the current economic situations Prague hotels are much cheaper this summer than normal. You can get some really good bargains. search on www.kayak.com and also on www.alpharooms.com for Prague.

Posted by
4637 posts

Despite some other recommendations I would leave 3 days to see Prague. It's probably possible to see the most important sights in shorter time but you would feel hurried and even feeling like not being on vacation. Rick Steves book Prague and the Czech Republic is very useful to suggest what to see in Prague in 3 days. I would add Krizik Fountain (google it). Trains are still cheaper in C.R. than in Austria. Accommodation too, with the exception of Prague. I used to stay in the student dormitory of Academy of Music Arts for 300 crowns a night. Had my own room with a sink, bathroom was down the hall. Hotels at that time were around 3000 crowns. At the Main Railroad Station there is an Accommodation Office where you can get good deals for the same day. You tell them your range and distance from the center and they always found something. Enjoy your stay.

Posted by
956 posts

Tina, make sure you read a lot about Prague on here before you change your plans (as far as how many days to stay.) I've read some people (like the one above) insinuating that Prague can be done in one day. We really enjoyed Prague and we were there for almost three full days which was great. One side trip that you might consider is Theresienstadt. That is, if you're interested in a concentration camp. As far as accomodations, depending on how many people are traveling with you, you may consider renting an apartment.

Posted by
54 posts

I was just in Prague for a weekend. It was my first time and I could have stayed two more days. I did feel rushed to see everything.

Make sure you see the Communist Museum. It was very interesting and gave a good overview of Prague spring and the overthrowing of communism.

I rented an apartment here: http://www.prague-apartment.com/apartments/navratilova-three-room-apartment/

It slept 5 and cost Euro 150 for 2 nights.

Have fun,
Ann

Posted by
156 posts

Prague is too great a city to rush a visit. Stroll Wens Sq, walk the Chas Bridge, watch people in the Old Town Sq, visit the church housing the statue of the Infant of Prague, the Castle and the absorb ambience of the city. We spent 5 days there and weren't bored (or rushed). You can always kill extra time in a local pub visiting with locals.

Posted by
2023 posts

Do not miss seeing the Jewish Quarter and the Old Synagogue and cemetery. The cemetery is beautiful. We enjoyed the castle area and St Vitus Church and attended a classical concert near the castle for a modest amount of $$. We did not find the area around St Wenceslas particularly interesting--some road construction going on also. The Botanicus shop off the square is worth a visit--candles, soaps, lotions, etc.

Posted by
65 posts

I heartily disagree with the poster who said you can do Prague in one day. That's rushing or skipping a lot of worthwhile stuff! (One could spend an entire day in the Jewish Quarter.)

For deals on lodging, check out the accommodation section on the expat site: http://www.expats.cz/. Many people offer sublets throughout the year.

Posted by
16 posts

I agree - you CANNOT do Prague in one day. Will not do it justice (too many people do this). It's an enchanting city!

I went about a year ago. Granted Prague can be comparable to the rest of Europe but it's really not that bad plus the koruna/crown has gone down in value since then. Last year it was 15Kc to the $1US, and just now I looked and it's 20Kc to $1US. Just make sure to get off the beaten path and you will find deals on food and drink. Seriously, only a block or two will be the difference of a beer costing 100Kc or 30Kc! Must see - castle, Jewish quarter, Old and New town, Petrin Hill, Charles Bridge, the beer and more!

Posted by
295 posts

We went from Salzburg to Prague by train last summer. Leaving Salzburg at 9 am, with 2 transfers, you arrive in Prague to about 6 pm. So you take a whole day just to get there. It's a bit faster if coming from the direct west, as with Nurnburg. If you take the train, take food and water as there won't be any stops (Ceske Budovice was 3 minutes, and the other transfer doesn't even have a platform, you hop out and run along the gravel to the other waiting train).