Please sign in to post.

Krakow to Budapest

Has anyone ridden the overnight train from Krakow to Budapest in the last year or two? We will be taking it in September and I'm curious to hear if you found it to be a pleasant experience or not.

Posted by
290 posts

Thanks. Yeah, I saw that too, but no one talks about what sort of experience they had on the trip.

Posted by
126 posts

Ash I took an overnight train from Budapest to Frankfort in 2007. I know this is not your exact route, but I thought it was boring & long in my opinion. I would look into flying as it might be cheaper given all the great deals now.

Posted by
448 posts

We took the overnight train krakow to budapest in Sept 2007, but chose the option of the private compartment for two..closet size, but with sink, and "gifts" of cookies , water and facecloths. Husband had top bunk so i was in charge of opening the door for the two passport controls during the night. Don't know if that qualifies as "pleasant" but depends on how well you want to sleep. Husband sleeps thru everything. I was out strolling the corridor having coffee with the conductor.

Posted by
290 posts

Thanks, all. My wife can sympathize with your plight, Regina, that's why I asked this question. I can sleep anywhere, but she will likely be up "strolling the corridor having coffee with the conductor." :-)

Posted by
4637 posts

No more opening doors for passport control. All countries the train goes through e.g. Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary are in Schengen space now.