Please sign in to post.

driving in Greece

My credit card has cdw insurance and my own car insurance covers rental car cdw, but, should I purchase additional car insurance from the rental car company in Greece? If so, what type(s)?

Posted by
3122 posts

If you have an accident in Greece and it's your fault and you don't have full coverage for both cars then and there you might be in for some serious headache time. I would NEVER rely on my credit card company's so-called automatic insurance. They have too many loopholes and exclusions. Be sure of your personal insurance company's ability to respond long distance. It's just easier in the long run to spend the money for the local policy (coverage for both cars in an accident, comp. and collision) offered at the time you pick up your car.

If you live in the US or Canada be sure to go to your local AAA or CAA office to pick up an International Driving Permit, no test required. If you get in an accident and don't have one your insurance will be invalidated, you'll be in trouble with the local police and you will be expected (and perhaps detained) until you can come up with the cash to pay for ALL damages, no doubt estimated at an inflated rate. Also be sure to inspect the car carefully, inside, outside and underneath for dents, scratches, cracks, stains, tears and missing parts, and never take "No Problem" as a substitute for listing every little blemish on the rental contract. Take photos if possible before you sign the contract and be sure to return the car with a full tank of gas.

Posted by
7570 posts

If you would even consider relying on credit card insurance for a rental, call the CC company and get the number of the company that handles the insurance. Then call them, and first determine if you are covered in that country. As an example, most cards do not cover Ireland, Italy, and Mexico. Next ask what coverage you have and how it works, if you pay, then fight with them for reimbursement...that leaves me uneasy. Next, if you still want to go that route, ask what steps you need to take to validate coverage. For instance, by taking any level of coverage from a rental company, you invalidate all coverage under some CC plans, plus I am sure there are other small things to know. Even if all looks good, go to car rental sites for that country and see if they have any rules. Mexico for instance flat out refuses use of CC coverage even if your card allows it. They also mandate that you have liability coverage, lack of requires you to sit in jail until charges are resolved. Rental companies, with use of CC insurance, also have the option to put a credit hold on an amount equal to the value of the car on your credit card, a problem if you need that card and they max out your limit. All said, for what limited rental car use I have, I almost always opt for full CDW, just the peace of mind of not worrying about the car is worth it.