Please sign in to post.

When to Purchase Airline Tickets

I need to purchase from Rome to Athens. Yesterday it was $78 euros plus taxes, the when I looked last night it doubles for August. Also when I checked for Athens to Santorini in one day that tripled Do I keep waiting, or should I booK ASAP. I dont know if air gets more expensive.Its more than 5 months out. Thanks

Posted by
3122 posts

For August you certainly need to book ahead for the highspeed boats, and maybe even for the conventional car ferries. You can book directly through the ferry company websites once tickets go on sale, or with Amphitrion Holidays so you can pick up your tickets at the airport.

Posted by
3122 posts

Like you, tens of thousands of travellers are now making plans for August. All flights in and out of major European airports are being booked. Some European airlines offer a limited amount of discounted airfares. These sell out fast. For the most part they've already been offered. If you don't see any saver fares on your travel dates the chances are good that they're already gone.

Check Aegean Airlines, Olympic Airlines and Alitalia.

Aegean also flies from Milan and Venice to Santorini. Will you be visiting these cities as well as Rome, and is it possible for you to leave Italy from there instead of Rome? Perhaps doing this would give you more fare options.

Posted by
115 posts

Thanks again Lee, I took your advice and booked Rome/Athens beore it got higher.I'll wait for Athens Airway to see if we can get flights to Santorini, and if not, we'll just take a ferry or Cat. Do you have to reserve wasy ahead of time for those also? Thanks again