Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Help Please!

I'm studying abroad in Italy for a couple weeks this summer. My sister is meeting me over there from June 6- June 14 (traveling home on the 15th) so we have 8 or 9 days depending on travel times. The current plan is to go from Florence up to Switzerland. Then likely fly from Switzerland to Greece, perhaps Santorini and visit islands. Does this seem like a realistic (not too expensive) plan? And which islands would you recommend? I have interest in Santorini and maybe a Turkish island? Also, I'm not sure where we'll fly out of as of now, so I guess please take that into consideration if possible.

I really appreciate any help, I'm new to European travel and overwhelmed by all I'd love to see!

Posted by
3122 posts

First of all, forget about Turkey. Even with 9 days you don't have enough time.

Flying from Switzerland to Santorini means a change of planes in Athens. Do you plan to spend any time in Athens or will you go straight out to your first island? If you do you'll have to subtract that time from your overall schedule and that will tell you how many islands you'll have time to visit Plan to spend a minimum of 3 days per island.

Santorini is my favorite island so I naturally encourage people to go there. In that same group of islands are many that you might also enjoy and which are easily reached from Santorini by ferry. These include Ios, Paros, Naxos, Folegandros, Anafi, Amorgos, Mykonos and Sikinos. What's important, regardless of which island group you visit, is to use your time wisely. Don't try to go to any island too far away from another. For example, if you decided to go to Rhodes you could also conveniently go to Kos.

For the sake of convenience you can also fly back to Athens from Rhodes, Kos, Santorini, Naxos, Paros, Skiathos, Samos, Crete, Lesvos and Chios.

Posted by
417 posts

I agree, I don't think Turkey is reasonable- if you plan on Greece as well. Have you considered Croatia? Dubrovnik is wonderful, easily as nice as any Greek island. There are many direct flights to Dubrvnik in the summer on budget carriers, so that is a plus. You could even do a day tour to Mostar, Bosnia!

However, Santorini is also beautiful, easily filling two days.