Please sign in to post.

Budapest to Ljubljana

The planning continues. Due to my spouse's hip problem, we are trying to find the most comfortable way of getting from Budapest to Ljubljana. I know there is the train, and at least we could walk a bit on the train, but that is one long journey. When I look for airfares, most fly to a place like Vienna first, making for a long and expensive flight. Any ideas? How about renting a car in Budapest and driving? Has anyone done it? at least then we could stop whenever we wanted.

Posted by
1358 posts

Since you haven't had an answer in 5 days, I will give you my thoughts. I have traveled by auto and by train several thousand miles in my 8 visits to Europe.

I would take the train. If you consider a car, be sure to ask what the drop charge will be for Ljubljana. It is usually prohibitive for another country.

Travel on a train will permit your husband to move about more than he can in a car.

Also be aware that you must buy a permit for your windshield to drive on the Hungarian autobahn.

Do a google search for "Discount air fares Budapest to Ljubljana". There may be a direct flight.

Posted by
25 posts

thanks for your thoughts. I didn't know about the Hungary fee. You are probably right that we should stick with the train. I'll check for airflights again, though.

Posted by
1556 posts

Looking at whichbudget.com, it doesn't look like there area any LCCs that fly between BUD and LJU. You could also try the local carriers to see if they have decent fares (Adria or Malev) - sometimes it is better to pay a little more and fly on these since the baggage allowance is at least decent.

Alternatively, check out the bus schedules if this is an option. I have found that the reason the train journeys are so long is due to the time spent at the border crossings where the engine and the crew needs to change.

Posted by
25 posts

Thanks, Arnold. I see that Malev flies direct: unfortunately, the airfare that came up was over $800! However, I'll keep checking it.

Posted by
79 posts

Hi!

In 2005 we took the Budapest to Ljubljana train, it was 8 hours. The Budapest train station listing of this train was very confusing (we are seasoned travelers)...so please allow enough time to figure it out.

also, when we went there was no dining car.
Make sure you allow enough time in Budapest train station to pick up food, water and snacks.

We had 1st class compartment to ourselves, the train was nice and comfortable. With a good book it will go by in a flash!

You do cross through Croatia..so there were frequent passport checks.